Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried caladiums in a viv? They would seem to be a good candidate for larger vivs because of their bright colors, wet feet and tropical habitat, but I find no references when searching the dendroboard.

Is there something I don't know about that keeps them from being good viv plants? I know there are only a few miniatures, but even the large ones don't seem to get more than 16" tall.

Thanks
Dave Willmore

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've used at least a half dozen species in the past. Ron Gagliardo used to offer some really nice ones, but I'm sure you can find them around.
j

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Justin,

I've grown lots of them in the past in pots outside my house, but even when I bring the pots in before frost I have a hard time keeping the bulbs over winter. So I make a new order each spring. Rainbow Acres, in Florida, has some of the best Caladium prices I've found, although they only have a dozen named hybrids, and no miniatures. Caladiums are so popular that I'd guess you can get them anywhere as potted plants.

Dave

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Keep in mind that a caladium will need very strong lighting, or it will get leggy and the stems will break as they touch the tops of the glass. I had one in my tank at one time, and I just had to remove it and put it outside.

Although they are shade plants, sunlight outside in the shade is much more intense than indoors under lights.

However, they DO really like moist habitats. If you give them enough power compact light, they will do great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts