Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys bare in mind we live in England UK.
We have a type of aphid here that preys on the brassica family,providing the usual caution is shown regrading the harvest of wild food ,does anyone see any potential problems,with using this as part of a varied diet for our darts.
the past growing season seems to have been very kind to this little beastie,much to the annoyance of cabbage fans here,i must declare a slighty impartiality:rolleyes: as personally i'd rather eat strawberries,but alot of the green stuff is grown here abouts, it would be a shame not to take advantage of a different offering for our frogs,providing it is safe for them
thanks in advance
regards
Stu

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
i think the only potential problem might be that the aphids might feed on your viv plants if they don't exclusively feed on cabbage

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
They should be fine to use as they only feed on Brassicas.

Ed

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hyposatic and Ed,thank you guys,because brassica can be so pungent smelling i had my reservations,that there might be something to be wary of
much appreciated
regards
Stu

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Hyposatic and Ed,thank you guys,because brassica can be so pungent smelling i had my reservations,that there might be something to be wary of
much appreciated
regards
Stu
The odoriferous components are fine as the white fly are unlikely to contain a whole lot of it as excess to any needs will be excreted with the excess sugars.

Ed

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The odoriferous components are fine as the white fly are unlikely to contain a whole lot of it as excess to any needs will be excreted with the excess sugars.

Ed
Wonderful the frogs will enjoy this,thanks again,Ed will these said sugars be easily diegestable to the frogs do you have any thoughts as the the nutritonal values of aphid as opposed to ff,i'm not thinking as a staple but just curious,i harvest various different types through the seasons as available,sycamore,nettle etc,i have always thought of them to be,good for putting a bit of weight on a frog,say one thats been stressed by the move here,new surroundings,am i wrong to think that?
regards
Stu

1 - 6 of 6 Posts