Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying some frogs that are due to be in the country very shortly. I was told the frogs would arrive in the USA and then be shipped out (same day) imediately to me.

Is there a higher potential for parasites being that the frogs are coming from out of the country?

And is it wise to purchase frogs right of the truck, so to speak?

-B

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would say it depends on how experienced you are with keeping frogs, what species, etc.

Are they coming from the wild or from captivity?

If they're coming from the wild, definitely plan on dealing with some issues, not necessarily severe, but such that it may give a noob a really bad day (I wouldn't at my current experience level, which is very low, so take it with a grain of salt.)

Just my 2 cents. No idea what some common wild caught problems are as I have no experience with wild caught animals of any kind.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I am thinking about buying some frogs that are due to be in the country very shortly. I was told the frogs would arrive in the USA and then be shipped out (same day) imediately to me.

Is there a higher potential for parasites being that the frogs are coming from out of the country?

And is it wise to purchase frogs right of the truck, so to speak?

-B
what frog's are they and why are they coming in from another country?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are luecs and i guess the is where they are being bred.

Coming from the reefing hobby. Sounds a little stressful to have frogs shipped into the country then immediately shipped to me.

-B

·
Registered
835 Posts
They are luecs and i guess the is where they are being bred.

Coming from the reefing hobby. Sounds a little stressful to have frogs shipped into the country then immediately shipped to me.

-B
IMHO, Leucs are one of the most prevalent available species in the U.S. (I am assuming that you live here). There are a ton of breeders and competant breeder/hobbyists with healthy and robust (not to mention beautiful) captive bred frogs and froglets.

With the exception of those truly qualified to handle newer species being made available to the hobby, most froggers do far better avoiding any wild caught species or those grown on 'farms' out of country. There are just far too many things that can go pear-shaped.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was actually going to get them from a sponser. But after going through the QT procedures. I gave my self nightmares about buying tainted frogs.....

Let me see if I have this right.......

I have 3 empty vivariums at the moment. 1 I built and two I purchased from a member. I currently have no frogs and all terrariums have been sitting without frogs for 3+ months while in my possesion. Now it was my impression that leaving the system empty would eventually rid me of any and all parasites because of the lack of host. I also figured since I have no frogs there was no need for QT.

So I start reading and the FIRST DAMN parasite (Hookworm I think) can live indefinatle in a terrarium once it is introduce.

Does this mean that once an encloser is contaminated you might as well tear it down and redo it?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think its best to tear down the tanks that you bought from the other member. Unless you are buying a tank with the frogs that have always been in it you never know what you are introducing your new frogs to. Its better to be safe than sorry. Besides half the fun is building the tank yourself. If you are getting wild caught frogs (which I highly discourage) you should have a separate quarantine tank that you can keep them in while they are being treated and until fecal cultures come back clean. Otherwise all the time you spent setting up your tank could be a waste if the frogs come with parasites or other nasties.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Luecs are EVERYWHERE in the US. There should be no reason to import more. Just watch the classified here on Dendroboard and sooner or later you should be able to get some straight from a hobbyist/breeder.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was actually trying to get 4 "Guyana Yellow" from UE. The whole reason I started the thread is because I was concerend with them arriving in the country and then shipped again that same day. They are CB frogs (I was told this obviously I can't confirm).

-B

·
Registered
40 Posts
Shipping live animals is always a bit stressful to the animal, temp flux, depending on how well the box was packed, what they were packed with and on and on. That is why when breeders package and ship they do so overnight and only within certain temperature ranges, so they can almost guarantee successful transfer, but even that isn't perfect (search the forums, you'll find some sad stuff). Banded leucs can be found in country, I was at a reptile show recently and saw nom, banded and small spotted all available and in good shape. There are tons of breeders in your part of the country that will either have what you are looking for or connect you with someone who does. You can use someone else's constructed viv and order the frogs out of country but you are risking their health and your sanity. Just take all the precautions you can.

After a quick search, Black Jungle has banded for 60.00 a piece and I'm sure if you look around some more you could find another place offering them.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Zach Brinks has some really nice leucs. I saw them for sale at the Show in Raleigh back at the beginning of Sept. I want to get some leucs with better data than the one I have, which is an unknown though pretty leuc.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I was actually trying to get 4 "Guyana Yellow" from UE. The whole reason I started the thread is because I was concerend with them arriving in the country and then shipped again that same day. They are CB frogs (I was told this obviously I can't confirm).
-B
Mark has been doing it this way for a long time and you have no worries. You're not buying W/C frogs

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
I have a group of 4 'Guyana Yellow' Leucs I got from UE about 2 years ago. They are definitely not your typical 'banded' leucs. They basically look like giant Venezuelan leucs, and the phenotype breeds true.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
I like them a lot :D

I'm a big fan of leucs - I currently have fine spot, Guyana Yellow, Banded, green foot, and Venezuelan 1996 import leucs breeding for me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Parasites of all animals have many techniques of surviving without a host. That is the way they can survive in the environment for so long just waiting. Some worm eggs can lay in the soil for years before a host come to carry them away. There are also many different parasites, and they can appear similar in the animals. Some can be killed by chemicals, but not all of them. Chemicals will also harm the frogs. The best way to sterilize objects for pets is high heat. This is very impractical with the tanks. High heat can damage some of the tanks. Also it is very bad for the natural organisms in the media. So if you had parasites before, dump it all and start a new. Johnny

1 - 20 of 21 Posts