Dendroboard banner

When you buy feeder insects, should the culture be just started or full of feeders?

• already producing/full of larvae and flies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • just started

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some new flies (gonna try hydeii) and springtails from a vendor and was quite disappointed to see no hydeii larvae in the container (just started seeing a few larvae yesterday over a week since I got them) and I had to search and search to find any springtails in the container. Am I expecting too much by expecting my flies to be producing and there to be enough springtails to start another culture with? Or did Ed's spoil me?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
In regards to FF cultures, It should definately be full of larve but not nessesarily adult flies (newly hatched flies may be present).

It is very common for vendors to ship cultures without adult FF's becuase they would most likely be buried in the shifting media during shipment. Knowing this, the larve should be at a stage where adults are within a few days away. If sold in the stores or hand delivered, I would expect both adults and larve. In regards to no, or few larve, I say find a new vendor.

But your also right about Ed's, they do spoil us with great insect cultures!!

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I usually expect (for the prices that are usually charged), to receive a producing culture that I can both feed from, and start new cultures.
I've bought springtail cultures before that were barely enough to innoculate a decent sized culture, and felt thouroghly ripped off...I know how :lol: expensive :lol: they are to produce!

·
Registered
720 Posts
When I buy a culture, I expect it to at least be aged enough to have larvae and ready to make adults within a few days. I make my own cultures usually, so if I am buying cultures it is to make more cultures and because the ones I made are running out. I have had to buy more than usual since I have bought alot of new frogs recently and now local people are starting to buy fruitlflies off of me. I had plenty of cultures fro myself and within a week, I had 2 frantic people buying my established cultures off of me. So, I had to order more. Luckily I don't live far from tuss of Fruitflies.net, so he is sending more. I reccomend him since his cultures come full of larvae and have produced very well for me.

I try to tell people how to make their own cultures, but they are intimidated by the process, so I guess I'll keep selling them cultures. At least this way, my frogs get to eat for free. :)

G

·
I know if the ff cultures at my local petco (not that I'd really buy them) are full of flies and maggots anyones should be.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to clariy...I did not buy my last order from Ed's. I bought from Ed's a year ago (mels) and have kept the flies going since then. I also bought springtails from them which was the start of my current springtail cultures. Ed's flies and springtails came just loaded. I'm cheap, so this time when I wanted to start culturing hydeii I went with a cheaper supplier and all I got was a just started culture. I guess I got what I paid for. So, as advice, if you are in a pinch and need some flies ASAP, buy from Ed's. If you can wait (which technically, I guess I could have) buy from a cheaper source.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts