Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 0.0.3 bumblebee toads today.

just wanted to get some additional info. Feeding...wingless fruit flys? these are tiny thumbnail sized. also heat?

they live in a live planted 20gallon long. could i put them in a 10 gallon untill they grow up?

ill post pics later...it's late

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
these are really neat and under appreciated animals. like most toads they can be somewhat reclusive, but mine are extremely bold and come out of hiding immediately when the tank is misted or when they are offered food items.

melanogaster FFs are fine for feeding. i feed mine exactly like my darts, although not as often as they dont seem as active.

as far as size goes, they are not big animals and reach about an inch or a little over when mature. i'd say somewhere between a thumbnail and an auratus.

from my experience you'd be fine with a 10 gallon tank indefinitely (and with a couple more animals)

i'd personally try to get at least 2 more. i got 6 and have only a single male.

james

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
these are really neat and under appreciated animals. like most toads they can be somewhat reclusive, but mine are extremely bold and come out of hiding immediately when the tank is misted or when they are offered food items.

melanogaster FFs are fine for feeding. i feed mine exactly like my darts, although not as often as they dont seem as active.

as far as size goes, they are not big animals and reach about an inch or a little over when mature. i'd say somewhere between a thumbnail and an auratus.

from my experience you'd be fine with a 10 gallon tank indefinitely (and with a couple more animals)

i'd personally try to get at least 2 more. i got 6 and have only a single male.

james

Yea, i got a great deal 3 for $20 i think i am gonna set them up in a 10, the 20g long is sooooo big for them. i love them! i will grap 1 or 2 here and there if they arnt over priced. i am gonna grab a culture today of the FF.

·
Registered
975 Posts
these guys will eat a ton so be prepared. good ventalation as well is needed.
awsome little toads and mine are never shy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i grabbed some Small/pinhead crickets today the scales and tails was sold out... i tossed 5 ish in the tank and 2 dead ones... 1 toad seemed to be hunting but never did anything...
help!

i put 1 toad with 1 tiny cricket in a small tub to make sure they were eating and the toad didnt do anything. the cricket was crawling on him...

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
these toads eat SMALL food items. only pinhead crickets would work. "small" crickets will be too big. you really need to get culturing fruit flies. as i said before fruit flies are the staple food source for these animals in captivity.

also, many of these come in in pretty rough shape and there were reports of chytrid infections. you need to QT the animals and as always make sure that your doing everything possible to prevent cross contamination if you have other animals.

your also going to need good supplements. i'd suggest a rotation of repashy calcium plus, rep-cal and herptivite

james

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am going to get 1/2 cultures tomorrow. I hope the can go 2 nights with no food.

the crickets are pin heads...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Do as James says..I bought 2 of them I think I got a pair because one is bigger and fatter(think its the female) and the other one is thiner and a little smaller(probably the male).

They are very neat and I feed them fruit flies supplemented with repashy calcium plus. They are kind of slow when hunting, not fast like dart frogs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am gonna pic up some, but they are so over priced.... i might put them in a 10 gall. for a while till the get big

1 - 10 of 10 Posts