Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has already been asked, I haven't found an answer in my searches though. I'm going to drill my tank for water drainage, and I'm not sure which bulkhead to buy. I already have a 5/8" diamond hole saw, so what size bulkhead do I need to fit that size hole?

Here's the one I'm thinking of, I'm just not sure which size to order it in. I'm guessing 1/2"? Just want to be sure!
Slip Bulkhead Fitting Kits

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
That 1/2" bulkhead requires a 1 1/8" hole. About the only bulkhead fitting that will fit a 5/8" hole will be the bulkheads that Marty sells at MistKing. It will use his 1/4" hose as a drain hose.
Bulkheads typically require a much bigger hole than it's actual rated size.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Something to check-out...jehmco.com...they have some miniature bulkhead fittings there that only require a 5/16" hole...there used for airline ...maybe that could be used for drainage?...

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Okay, thanks for the help guys!

So is this the MistKing one you're talking about Doug?
MistKing Misting Systems by Jungle Hobbies Ltd

Leads me to another question... will this size hole even be sufficient for drainage?
Yes it is. It would work for drainage as long as you use appropriate screen layers so your water isn't full of muck. It could plug easier if there is stuff floating around in there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay good! I didn't want to have to purchase another drill bit.

If the drain hole does get plugged up, can you easily unplug it from the outside of the tank?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Okay good! I didn't want to have to purchase another drill bit.

If the drain hole does get plugged up, can you easily unplug it from the outside of the tank?
Look at the picture on your link. See the small black collar on the far left hand side of it? You push that in and pull the hose out. It is a quick disconnect fitting. As long as you can get to the back easily, you can quickly disconnect it without any tools. Pull the hose, poke a stick through the bulkhead and pop a new or the cleaned hose back in.
Of course whatever plugged it will still be in the viv and able to plug it again. Best bet is to use appropriate screening and even lay a bead of silicone around the false bottom so dirt cant fall in around the sides. You can see what I mean by sealing around the false bottom here. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/76581-pumilos-75-corner-viv.html#post677465

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I'm just making sure you saw the edit I just added.

Reactions: Azriel

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm interested in how decided to go about this as well as I'm planning to do the same thing. As far as the false bottom goes I'm putting 3 sides on mine (the back portion will be pushed up against the glass but the sides and front are going to be a little short of the glass so that i can hide the FB with small gravel so that you can only see under the FB from the back of the tank.

I was thinking something like this, but it requires a 1.5" hole which would require me to have the FB way higher than i want

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I'm interested in how decided to go about this as well as I'm planning to do the same thing. As far as the false bottom goes I'm putting 3 sides on mine (the back portion will be pushed up against the glass but the sides and front are going to be a little short of the glass so that i can hide the FB with small gravel so that you can only see under the FB from the back of the tank.

I was thinking something like this, but it requires a 1.5" hole which would require me to have the FB way higher than i want

A few posts into this thread http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/78501-making-drain-viv.html#post694919 I link the parts you would need to do this.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If the bulkhead itself gets plugged up, you could push water through it in the other direction -- either with a pump or by holding a bucket way above the tank and letting it siphon. That wouldn't get the crud out of the bottom, but you'd get your drain back for a while.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
you could poke it with a paper clip.... its a 1/4" hole pretty easy to unplug

or just a quick blow on a clean hose would probably unclog it too

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeah I'm dealing with the same situation. My tanks came to me with a 5/8" hole as a drain hole. So I'm debating on a mistking bulkhead, or the hose with the barbed insert.

My initial thoughts on the barbed insert is to wrap barbs with emery cloth. Then twist back and forth till the barbs are sanded down to the point where it will fit in the the hose and hole. But not sanded too much, to be sure it still has pressure to hold in place and not leak. Then put a bead of silicone around it.

I tried it on a piece that I got at Lowes. If I go this route I will probably use a corner piece since the tank is on a bakers rack. I will use a different kind of barbed piece, not the one in the photos.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
That's awesome! looks like I will prolly go with the mistking bulkhead.

2 other questions if I may ask-

1-what kind of substrate barrier did you go with? window screen or weed blocker

2-what kind of substrate? ABG mix, or turface?

·
Registered
262 Posts
thanks for the tip. I'm looking into the reticulated foam. I would actually think it would help prevent it from clogging, plus gives roots more depth. Is there any certain place to find it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts