Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drilled the bottom of my exoterra 36-18-24 with a one inch diamond hole saw. What size bulk head will fit for that hole. I guess I should have checked a bit more before I bought the bit and drilled the tank but I am stuck now. Will a 1/2 inch bulkhead fit? And if any one knows the best website for buying bulkheads.

As always thanks for all the help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yeah, you probably should have done some more research before drilling. But, one thing you could always do is to cut a piece of glass and silicone it over the hole and try again once you determine the right size....

·
Registered
552 Posts
Something else you could try, though it's not as good as a standard bulk head, is the PVC conduit fittings. I'm not sure what sizes they make, but they're dirt cheap and if nothing else, might give you an idea of what size bulk head to try and order. I've used them a number of times when water pressure was low with no trouble. You can also get a packet of little rubber gaskets that fit snuggly around the threads. It needs to be a pretty exact fit for me to trust it though. Any home depot or equivalent will have that stuff.

·
Registered
987 Posts
1/2" bulkheads require a 1-1/8" hole. I just recently received a tank with a 1" hole drilled on the bottom and I had a 1/2" bulkhead. What I did was get a diamond bit for my dremal that looked like a diamond-coated toothpick and used that to ream the hole out large enough for the bulkhead. Worked really well and the bit was only $8.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1/2" bulkheads require a 1-1/8" hole. I just recently received a tank with a 1" hole drilled on the bottom and I had a 1/2" bulkhead. What I did was get a diamond bit for my dremal that looked like a diamond-coated toothpick and used that to ream the hole out large enough for the bulkhead. Worked really well and the bit was only $8.
This is what I am thinking the best solution will be.

Thanks for all the help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts