Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got four seperate species of bulbophyllum for 15 bucks all together :D. Got em from the orchid place down the street, they always give me discounts since i grew up by him and used to work their when i was little. 5 bucks each, and one for free :D. Well anyways i was hopping i could get some cultural information on bulbos. Any info would be appreciated.

Ryan

·
Registered
695 Posts
bulbos

Check out orchidspecies.com. they will give you altitude info. I would mount it on treefern and, assuming it is going into a very humid dart tank, use little moss around the base. Water in the morning, not in the evening.

Jon Werner

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help, now does anyone know about epsom salt? Already have some but get mixed reveiws. Some say water with it every time 2 tbs per gallon, others say 1/2 tbs per gallon.

Thanks
Ryan

G

·
I've NEVER heard that, nor would I recommend it--orchids are used to very 'clean' water from rain, humidity, etc. Salts will just add minerals and whatnot to the water, and they won't like it at all.

·
Registered
986 Posts
A lot of people use epsom salts with their orchids. It provids magnesium needed in the production of chlorophyll. I would take it easy, though, and not use it often, if at all. If you use an orchid food with trace minerals (sometimes called micronutrients), there should be no reason to use the epsom salts. Also, be sure to flush with pure water once per month to reduce any salt buildup that may occur.

Bulbo's really love the humidity of terraria, and I wish you the best of luck. They are certainly a fascinating genera, and I have one in a terraria (blumei) sitting in coco husk chip and horticultural charcoal right now that is constantly moist--it continues to multiply nicely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts