Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you build your own viv out of glass, is it hard to get a good seal on it?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I've never had a problem but it is important to put up all four walls, one right after the other. If you do two walls and let them dry, coming back later for the other two walls, you could have a problem. New silicone does not stick well to cured silicone, so you could end up with leaks where the newest walls meet the original walls.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
also, my local glass shop charges $20 for 1 hole in glass. i feel that's outrageous, but what do u think?

·
Registered
680 Posts
also, my local glass shop charges $20 for 1 hole in glass. i feel that's outrageous, but what do u think?
I drill my own holes and it's not difficult. Maybe if you are using some extremely thin glass it could be, but from my experience the process is no more difficult than drilling through wood, just a hell of a lot louder, messy, and takes longer. The risk of glass breaking seems pretty low if you do it properly, and I can't imagine spending more than 5 minutes to drill a hole through glass so 20 bucks for 5 mins and the cost of the hole bit seems high compared to DIY. Keep in mind that they probably are keeping their prices competitive to other local shops so if everyone is charging that then they are justified in their price. But give it a go yourself, one of the easier diy's to do. ;) Plus It would prob only cost you around 20 to 30 bucks to do yourself but with as many holes as your saw is good for, I am on 25 with my bit and still going strong.

·
Registered
835 Posts
20 bucks sounds right thats what they charge here. it would be more expensive to drill holes then the cost of the glass. Bought a bit off eBay and have drilled 7 holes with it so far. It's really easy to do.

·
Registered
454 Posts
i dont know about "really easy"....its not that hard, but for someone who has little to no experience with tools/etc it could be somewhat dangerous and end up costing more than the $20 in cracked glass

but if you are down to try it yourself, make sure you have the right bits, etc and follow pumilo's advice: practice on scrap glass first!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I just finished building two of my own vivs. It wasnt all that difficult, so long as you plan everything out well. Drilling the holes was not too difficult either however i used a drill press so that makes it really easy. Sand your edges, be ready for cuts and plan everything out and you should be golden. Glass isnt cheap though at aroung 3.50 a sqft for 1/4".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts