Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with constructing light fixtures out of rain gutters? Ive heard of this being done but wasnt sure the assembly method. I do plan on using 6500k cfl's. Any advice or help would be great...thanks.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
ive build a bunch of fixtures using both cfl and flourescent bulbs.

with CFL you need to wire in parallel or they wont ignite.

a simple lamp cord (rated for enough watts to handle that of the bulbs) a switch, some sockets (i use the cheap black ones from HD with the little metal L brackets on them. i take a spacer and a long bolt and bolt the socket into the housing so that the bulb sits sideways)
and some wire is really all you need. you should pin the wires away from the bulbs so that the heat doesnt degrade the wire (which it will if its too close to even a CFL)

i'll try to post some more in the next few days.

james

·
Registered
586 Posts
My build is a little different but I thought I might as well post it up for potential ideas.

It runs off of a 2x96w Coralife PC ballast so all I had to fiddle with was the sockets and wiring because it was a retrofit kit.

I dremeled some holes for the cord and cut a line so I didn't have to patch the gutter itself. I also used layered aluminum foil as heat sinks and they surprisingly work really well.

Luckily, the sockets had convenient holes for me to zip tie it to the gutter.

I opted out of end caps because the unit sits inside my canopy.

Due to the length of my bulbs, I zip tied the ends to support them.

Hope that gave you some ideas!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I see you are using black zip ties to hold the socket end of the bulbs into your gutter fixture. What are you using to hole the other end up into the gutter? Is that a white zip tie wrapping around the twin tubes connection point?

·
Registered
586 Posts
It is a zip tie, loosely attached. Zip ties are cheap and bulbs get changed out every 6+ months or so. I might upgrade to a reusable rig but I'm content for now.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Thanks. Unfortunately the white zip ties on the lit end are at risk of UV exposure and/or heat. They became brittle over time and one has cracked off. I'm changing over to wire for that purpose.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Thanks. Unfortunately the white zip ties on the lit end are at risk of UV exposure and/or heat. They became brittle over time and one has cracked off. I'm changing over to wire for that purpose.
I'm putting one of these together in the next couple of days. I found this for you. Clip For Power Compact Bulb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts