Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Do not follow the advice regarding Walmart resin.

The kind sold at Walmart and such called "fiberglass resin" is polyester resin which requires methylethylketone to cure. The resin itself is very toxic and does release a large poignant smell for weeks. The MEK catalyst is not adsorbed into the reaction as it is a true catalyst and can/does leach out eventually. Luckly the MEK has a very low vapor pressure so it dispurses into the air readily when it does leachout, but it is watersoluble so it can end up in the water.

I use to use polyester resin as it seemed like a good idea, but it has major drawbacks that I found out the hardway firsthand. Only then did I look into it and figured out the chemical reasoning behind why it didn't work while studying biochemistry and polymer chemistry.

For your purposes, a two part epoxy would be the best rout. You are not using it for aquarium fish so you don't have to worry about a particular issue found in US epoxies so really any 100% solids two part epoxy resin would be ideal. When fully cured it will be non-toxic. Make sure you get a 100% solids system or you could be looking at long outgassing times depending on the type of VOC used.

I wish the polyester resin was the way to go as it would really make a lot of builds a lot easier but unfortunately its not a safe material for animal enclosure use. Works great for boats and cars though.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Properly cured urethane resin works well too, but it's not easily available to the average consumer. You'd have to buy it online. Epoxy is more forgiving in terms of it's ratios, curing environment, cure time, and is generally less hazardous in it's unpolymerized/reacted state. So stick with a good two part epoxy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.