Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of building a vivarium out of wood and then going to seal it with fiberglass then a epoxy paint for the paint I'm going to use sweetwater epoxy paint the finish. For the fiberglass esin I was going use a polyester resin. Does anyone know if polyester cures inert

·
Registered
957 Posts
Use epoxy. Polyurethane is inert once fully cured and people have used it in vivs. I work with these resins on a very regular basis and find epoxy superior in many ways. strength, resistance, application etc. Epoxy was designed for marine purposes and therefore in my opinion a much better candidate for use in the warm humid environment of a viv. it is slightly more expensive than your poly resins but the fact that epoxy is meant for submersion in water is enough for me to use it over poly in my vivs.

pro's of poly
- cheap
-inert
cons's
-low strength/dent resistance

pro's epoxy
-very inert
-very strong and will fill gaps in your wood much better
-meant for marine/high water content environments

Con's
-more expensive
-longer curing time

·
Registered
957 Posts
Also poly does not bond well to epoxy so mixing the two can lead to delamination (parting of the two layers) if you want to color your viv then just use the epoxy and add an epoxy pigment. you do two jobs in one.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you know of any good epoxy that be found locally(lowes,hd,ace,etc...) as opossed to ordering it online? Also does it matter what brand I use?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts