Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
After carefully reading 40+ hours of Dendrobates and terrarium related content I started my new build.
My previous setup housed two red eyed tree frogs. After donating them to a new caregiver, I could break down their home :’)
My
Forture is creating display tanks and modernizing the backend through digital automating. The previous paludarium had a Raspberry Pi controlling all peripherals.
Plant Interior design Art Houseplant Gas

Wood Gas Machine Room Metal

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Crankset

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So the display tank is 50*60*100cm (20*24*40”inch).
I’ve designed and build a new stand which will house:
  • 25 liter (6gallon) SUMP, with 2*60W heaters and DC1200 Pump and auto top off technique;
  • 1 esp32 in control of light (LED bars and configurable RGBstrips);
  • 1 esp32 in control of 8-relay switch system (mist, co2, lighting, servos);
  • An 8-relay system enclosed;
  • A membrane 24V mist pump;
  • A 12Vsubmersible pump for small dripwall feature;
  • A small CO2 system;
  • A small OLED display with details such as humidity, temp, and misting reservoir;
  • A 40mm fan in the SUMP enclosure to reduce risk of moisture.
The stand is made from 18mm MDF, primed and then coated with Matt black. Dimensions are 505*605*500mm (20*24*20”)
Sump area is closed off from the electronic area.
When I finish the interiors and technique, the stand will get to removable side panels, held in place by magnets.
Gas Machine Art Room Rectangle

Plant Wood Rectangle Outdoor furniture Table

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carefully cleaned the glass of the tank. And brainstormed on my false bottom approach with a sketch…
I thoroughly read all topics on water features, false bottoms and drainage. And I’m attempting to create a new approach with a high/low tide system. The water level will be extremely low, and I will be able to flush the false bottom area into the sump. The finished ‘water area’ will look closer to a puddle after heavy rain. No big river structures, although it looks like it now ;)
I can control the DC pump flow rate with the ESP32 controllers.
Font Slope Parallel Art Rectangle
Floor Musical instrument Bumper Gas Tints and shades

· Here to help
7,837 Posts
I've brainstormed a few ways to keep leucomelas based on their wild habitat and captive preferences, and never once did I even get close to a tidal paludarium.

I'm curious how the reasoning from the needs of that species to the described design went. What are the considerations around keeping a dripwall and saturated substrate dry enough for a sometimes grassland species that aestivates during the dry season? It isn't clear how deposited tads will be safe during tidal changes.

Also interesting to know would be the reasoning for reducing the useable footprint of the viv to what looks to be about half of that available -- so, about 240sq inches, roughly 75% of what many keepers would consider the absolute bare minimum footprint for a pair of leucs.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What will you do with the water after it drains into the sump? I assume you read that the amount of waste dart frogs produce can pretty quickly foul a recirculating water feature, which is one of the main benefits of a drainage area that drains and is then discarded.
Thank you replying.
I seem to have failed in accurately describing my intentions for the circulating water feature. Taking your feedback into account, I'm currently reformulating and adjusting the design. I'm gratefull for the oppertunity and the community to post work in progress - and get direct feedback from experienced members.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've brainstormed a few ways... minimum footprint for a pair of leucs.
Thanks for your feedback @Socratic Monologue. Part of my motivation for these eleborate plans is to create and experiment. You using the terms 'tidal paludarium' is far from the concept I'm trying to establish in this enclosure. My appoligies if I created friction in this passionate community. Your comment on usable footprint is correct - as I would have made the same comment, judging on available text and pictures. I'm taking your feedback into account. Upcomming weeks the bottom layers will take more shape and provide me a better understanding of the eventual effects of drought/puddles. I'll also be able to test my concepts, long before any inhabitants are in the picture.

· Here to help
7,837 Posts
'Experimenting' is something I personally think shouldn't be done with live animals that the experimenter has no baseline experience with and very little knowledge of. Even with experience and knowledge, experimentation with animals ought to be done to improve the situation of the animals, rather than show off technological prowess.

Just my 2 cents after keeping scores of species for decades. Other people have other views on how we ought to use animals, I suppose.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:
  • Build backwall: styrofoam, cork, hygrolon & sphagnum mix;
  • Fixated a few pieces of wood. Adding the leaf litter will hopefully create the illusion of it being 1 piece of wood;
  • Decreased size of wet zone. Will be mostly filled with substrate and big rocks
  • Wood Art Gas Natural material Glass

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hardscape is 80% done. False bottom is in place along with Hydrofleece. I managed to score a few rocks from the Belgium Ardennes - they are just laying in the terrarium - not in their final setup ;)
I'm currently working on the top cover of the terrarium and the code to automate the electrical systems. You can follow the coding proces on :
Arduino Forum - Building and automating a terrarium
Gas Event Metal Wood Glass

1 - 12 of 12 Posts