Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll not going to do a super detailed build log on this tank. This tank is designed/planned as a functional build rather than an overly aesthetically pleasing build (along with how most of my builds are, I don't have a great eye for visual design).
I'm using a 18x12x36" aquarium, modified to be a vertical conversion.

Had my local glass shop cut me three pieces of glass, one as a substrate barrier and two to function as doors. The doors are attached on with hinges and a sliding lock to keep them closed.

The outside of the tank is painted black, the inside is coated in silicone with peat moss and cork bits pressed into it.

The wood in use is HABITAT DECORATIONS :: Natural Wood, Cork & Branches :: NewCal Galho Estrela Natural Cork Branch (1-1.5" Dia.)

And

HABITAT DECORATIONS :: Natural Wood, Cork & Branches :: NewCal Vine Branches (5-Pack)

along with cork pieces on the side of the tank to create ledges for the frogs.

Tank is going to house a pair of Ranitomeya imitator "Chazuta" from @Chris S in a few months.

Tank is waiting for the silicone to finish curing then adding substrate and plants.

PXL_20210430_113158042.jpg

PXL_20210430_113149604.jpg

PXL_20210430_181121271.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Added a few plants:
Peperomia perciliata
Pilea "Moon Valley"
Begonia sp. "Peru" (this actually grew spontaneously from seeds in my plant tank, the seeds hitchhiked in on another plant)
Marcgravia sintenisii
Pellionia pulchra

PXL_20210501_210715300.jpg
PXL_20210502_135116189.jpg
PXL_20210502_135119455.jpg

·
Registered
569 Posts
I like all the vertical lines, and didn‘t realize you could get skinny cork branches like that. Very cool.

Also, do you just smear silicone right on the glass for the background? With all the wood and eventually plants, I’m seeing the whole foam thing is kind of unnecessary (and maybe wasting usable space).

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like all the vertical lines, and didn‘t realize you could get skinny cork branches like that. Very cool.

Also, do you just smear silicone right on the glass for the background? With all the wood and eventually plants, I’m seeing the whole foam thing is kind of unnecessary (and maybe wasting usable space).
Yes, silicone on glass then press peat moss into it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts