Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw these on my large culture.
I checked my 2 smaller cultures and didn't see them.
I killed them all.
Anyone know what they are?

these two were mating...at least they died having a good time lol.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Disregard what I said earlier...those are not what I have gotten in my vivs. Those jokers look mean! Glad you smooshed em.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Disregard what I said earlier...those are not what I have gotten in my vivs. Those jokers look mean! Glad you smooshed em.
yeah man they do. they have the thorax of a termite or wasp.
I hope I don't see anymore but there was about 7 of them.

I hope someone can ID them for me

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LMAO...

Could be fungal gnats or jewel wasps ...
yeah Field thought they was fungal gnats when I texted him but now that he is seeing them he is saying they don't look like them.

why would jewel wasps hang out in or near a springtail culture and live under the rim of the culture.
although I did capture one with a kleenex and it looked like the end of its thorax got trapped in the tissue so maybe it was it's stinger. or maybe his was like oh sh*t and pissed himself lol :p

if they are jewel wasps do they pose any threat to the springs or to me by stinging me?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ask doug or ed about this one
meh I wish I could ask Doug but me and him don't speak anymore.
I wish it didn't have to be like that tho -___-

Not a soldier fly. Fungus gnat. See for example the images here GreenCoast Hydroponics Blog: Fungus Gnats

There are multiple genera and species of what is collectively known as fungus gnats see Fungus gnat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ed
we have a winner!
that's exactly what I saw.
although fieldnstream mentioned it first in text. yet couldn't ID it in pics :p
he is the reason I have them cause he says feed your springs with mushrooms.
thanks a lot Field :p (joke)
Mushrooms work really well and the springs tear them up plus it seems like it give them a good congregating spot to breed at unlike yeast where you sprinkle it all over and the springs are all spread out eating.

Thanks tho Ed and I appreciate you letting the past go man.
you truly are a wise man.
so are these guys harmful to my culture?

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
They will compete with the springtails for food and can overrun the culture. Mushrooms can be a lure to them but I've had them on occasion show up in cultures fed yeast. Mainly increase the water changes will help control them. But be prepared to start the cultures over if they start taking over.

Ed

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They will compete with the springtails for food and can overrun the culture. Mushrooms can be a lure to them but I've had them on occasion show up in cultures fed yeast. Mainly increase the water changes will help control them. But be prepared to start the cultures over if they start taking over.

Ed
I'm also worried about current bugs I have in my viv that might compete with springtails for food. I have co2 bombed already and they are still running around.
when you say start over do you mean toss out the entire culture, springtails and all or just make an entire new culture and put those springs in it?
maybe I really just need to get some containers that seal better like ziploc containers and they can't get in?
I'm using shoebox containers that don't really have lids that snap on there. more like the lids are just rest on the container and not sealing it.

I've been asking about water changes with springtail cultures....does the water need to be changed out regularly and how do I change the water without loosing springtails?

thanks for the help Ed

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
meh I wish I could ask Doug but me and him don't speak anymore.
I wish it didn't have to be like that tho -___-
You made it abundantly clear, in public, that you feel I have nothing to offer the hobby and that you don't want my help. Our situation will never change without the apology that you refuse to give.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You made it abundantly clear, in public, that you feel I have nothing to offer the hobby and that you don't want my help. Our situation will never change without the apology that you refuse to give.
I always refer people to your threads to you and your son's thread about ABG mix and if people need bug help I say you are the guy so why in the world would I think that you have nothing to offer the hobby yet I use your information and give it to others as useful information?
I even printed off your springtail culture how to.

I asked if we could move on and I have the messages to prove it.
you wanted to make this public so here we are.
I have apologized and I have asked if we could move on and if you claim otherwise I can make the PMs public in the lounge for all to see that I have done so.

I'll even apologize publicly.
Doug I was at a bad point in my life at that time and I was kinda being a prick and I had everyone on here all over me on the mixing issue and separating the animals cause they was in a tank too small. No one wanted to give me time to get the separated. I was getting heavily irritated, several members even chimed in and said I was being treated unfairly and everyone needed to give me time to separate all of the animals.
Just cause I wouldn't do it as quickly as you and others wanted does not mean that I thought you had nothing to offer. I simply didn't have the money or the tanks to get the separated at the time.
I might have questioned who you was and your creditably because I was a n00b and didn't know anyone and I was foolish.
So please just let all this go and lets move on. It's been like over 6 months.
I'm sorry if you ever felt as I was claiming that I thought you had nothing to offer cause that was not my intention.

Reactions: Pumilo

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Thank you. Done and done.
Your fungus gnats are pretty much harmless. Just annoying as all get out. They will compete with your springtails for food, at least in their larval form. Do you see any tiny maggots in your springtail media?
You could always start a clean, sterile, culture in a well sealed container. Make sure only springtails and NO fungus gnat larvae get transferred.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you. Done and done.
Your fungus gnats are pretty much harmless. Just annoying as all get out. They will compete with your springtails for food, at least in their larval form. Do you see any tiny maggots in your springtail media?
You could always start a clean, sterile, culture in a well sealed container. Make sure only springtails and NO fungus gnat larvae get transferred.
well I did started off by washing the container with a 10% bleach solution then I placed the substrate in the container and places the springs I got from Field into the container.
Although I'm using ABG and leaf litter in my culture. Making it like it would be in the wild. I just make 2 smaller cultures with charcoal tho to test the methods...see which one produces faster.
Idk if
I see tons of springs of all sizes and they move around quick as if a bug would not slowly crawling like larvae/maggots would.
I'm hoping I caught them before they laid eggs but if eggs were laid and I see the maggots crawling around do I have to trash the whole culture?
How would I possibly be able to make sure I only get springs and no maggot?
It seems so impossible in my mind lol.

since I use mushrooms to feed do you think the gnats could have came in on those?
I wash the mushroom and nuke it for 20 seconds and let it cool before putting it into the culture.

thanks for the help and I'm glad we got over all that stuff

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
They may have come in on your mushrooms as they are a fungus. Honestly I don't know if a 20 second nuke is enough to kill anything off or not. They could have come in on your ABG mix or leaves since they were not sterilized. I don't bother to sterilize ABG when I set up a viv and the vivs usually go through a cycle of having fungus gnats. I always microwave the crap out of ABG or any leaf or substrate when using in a culture.
Try stirring your culture up a bit so that any fliers will fly off. Then, put your culture into a cake pan. Then, blow across the top. You can try stirring a bit while you blow across the top. Some of the springtails should be blown into the cake pan. The maggots will be too heavy. Quickly dump the springtails into a clean, sterile, culture container. You will never be able to get them all out, but it only takes a few to start a clean culture. Obviously, the more you can get in there, the quicker it will take off. You can continue to use the old one until your new one gets cranking, or until the fungus gnats drive you up the wall.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Or flood the container, tilt the container to concentrate the springtails down at one end and then blow hard on it to get the springtails into the new culture.

You'll need to set it up somewhere you can prevent the fungus gnats from accessing it as they will happily move into the new cultures.

Ed

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They may have come in on your mushrooms as they are a fungus. Honestly I don't know if a 20 second nuke is enough to kill anything off or not. They could have come in on your ABG mix or leaves since they were not sterilized. I don't bother to sterilize ABG when I set up a viv and the vivs usually go through a cycle of having fungus gnats. I always microwave the crap out of ABG or any leaf or substrate when using in a culture.
Try stirring your culture up a bit so that any fliers will fly off. Then, put your culture into a cake pan. Then, blow across the top. You can try stirring a bit while you blow across the top. Some of the springtails should be blown into the cake pan. The maggots will be too heavy. Quickly dump the springtails into a clean, sterile, culture container. You will never be able to get them all out, but it only takes a few to start a clean culture. Obviously, the more you can get in there, the quicker it will take off. You can continue to use the old one until your new one gets cranking, or until the fungus gnats drive you up the wall.
I'm thinking about boiling the mushrooms and see how that pans out or nuking them submerged in water.
wow that cake pan trick seems tricky cause my culture container is pretty tall. I would have to use one of those foil turkey pans.
I will get one next time I'm at the dollar store.
I might have to tip it a bit tho cause it like a good 5 inches from the substrate to the rim....it's all the ABG I had left over lol.
I was also thinking about using a colander lined with coffee filters to get all that nasty water out if the culture doesn't develop maggots. That way I can save the springs but the nasty water is gone. It is pretty fowl...almost smells like sewage water.

the next substrate culture I was gonna make was gonna be eco earth, orchid bark, sphagnum moss, charcoal and magnolia leaf litter.
the charcoal will be put down on top of the substrate and broken into smaller pieces then the leaf litter on top.
just experimenting lol. what do you think of that one?
btw don't worry I will be making a culture how your guide says just in case my experiments crash I will have it to fall back on.
It may be a while before I get to get any frogs anyway.

have you ever thought about instead of charcoal to use your clay substrate?
I'm thinking about replacing the charcoal with the clay substrate in the mixture above and also thought about just putting straight clay substrate in a culture. Only issue I'm thinking of is the clay floating, when you go to flood the culture to feed, like LECA tends to float sometimes.
I'm considering on experimenting with this straight clay substrate as well.
I just don't get the charcoal thing since it's not what they would have in the wild.
what essential roll does the charcoal play? I've always wondered

sorry for asking so many questions, I'm a brainstormer and I like to experiment and mess around and try new things lol.
I appreciate you taking the time to answer them :)

oh one more thing lol
this is the charcoal I am using....is it kosher?
8.8lb bag got it at Kroger(local grocery store) for $6.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts