Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well spring has arived and every insect I see I wonder how my frogs would like it. I wanted to use a net to collect feild plankton but I was at a local pet store and found this!

It is called a BugNapper made by Zoo Med. It uses a light to draw in insects which fall to the bottom and has different funnels to catch different size bugs.

Has anyone ever used this? Does it work?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
No, I've been wanting to try one also. One problem, I'm pretty sure it's AC powered,(someone please correct me if i'm wrong) and I can't think of anywhere I could run an extension cord to that would be considered safe. I was thinking about possibly getting one someday, and replacing the ballast with one from a battery powered coleman lantern.
Then I'd just be paranoid of some punk stealing or vandalizing it :roll:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Attracts bugs using a special UVA fluorescent bulb (included) that simulates the light from the moon. Bugs are attracted to this light, just like the moths that are circle porch lights at night. The bugs then fall into the funneled collection chamber beneath the lamp. The small opening of the funnel makes it difficult for bugs to escape once they have passed through it. Approximately 15” tall. 120 V, 60 Hz operation only.
Link here

You would think Zoo Med would put this on their website...

I guess you could use a car inverter and 12VDC battery if you feel like going through the trouble.

Marcos

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bugnapper *UPDATE*

I have been using the Bugnapper over the last couple months. The temps have been in the 60's until the last couple of days. With the cooler temps the insects were not out and I was getting around 5 to 10 insects per night. :( Last night the temp was around the mid 70's and I woke up to find my Bugnapper full of insects. 20 to 30 :D

It has a funnel so larger insects cannot fall into the collection cup and that was blocked by a couple of June Bugs, so I don't know how much that may have affected it. I have a feeling they were not there all night.

It is a good way to get some variety into your frogs diet. I did have to weed out some beetles and Ladybuggs, but it was worth it. My frogs went nuts for there little treat!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts