Dendroboard banner

BS people will do for a $

4074 Views 52 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  Ed
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
I don't think he means that they are better off than they were prior to the extinction event, but rather that since we screwed up and have brought them to the edge of extinction, they are better off now that we are belatedly trying to manage the population we have left.
I can understand that but we have to keep in mind that there are usually major issues since adaptation is a selective breeding event in and of itself and those traits that enable survivial in captivity are ones that are typically very maladaptive to survivial in the wild.

Ed
Pumilo was right. But it was a weak argument on my part anyway (which was the point). I was trying to think of any animals that are better off for us having messed with them. It was the best I could do.

And yeah, there are some dogs that are healthier because of breeding...compared to other dogs. Put them in a wild with wolves though, and they'd be out-competed really quickly.
And yeah, there are some dogs that are healthier because of breeding...compared to other dogs. Put them in a wild with wolves though, and they'd be out-competed really quickly.

And if you put wolves into the same conditions as domestic dogs, the wolves would have competition issues as the dogs would have the advantage. The road goes two ways particularly when you look at the genetics of the population which is something people don't tend to think about. Yes, people have screwed up breeds of dogs (morphs) by limiting thier genetic components but over all the genetic make-up of the domestic dogs is very robust and diverse where some subspecies of wolves have the same genetic issues as domestic dogs due to genetic drift, reduction in the population of founders and so forth..

Ed
And if you put wolves into the same conditions as domestic dogs, the wolves would have competition issues as the dogs would have the advantage. The road goes two ways particularly when you look at the genetics of the population which is something people don't tend to think about. Yes, people have screwed up breeds of dogs (morphs) by limiting thier genetic components but over all the genetic make-up of the domestic dogs is very robust and diverse where some subspecies of wolves have the same genetic issues as domestic dogs due to genetic drift, reduction in the population of founders and so forth..

Ed
That's an experiment I'll leave up to you, Ed. I'm thinking that I'd rather not have a pack of wild wolves in my living room! I'm going to take you word on it!
One of the most horrific examples of man #$*^%ing things up is the parrot cichlid. Sold in every petsmart and petco across the country it is a cross between a red devil and a green severum. Two fish that would never cross paths with each other in the wild and made in a petri dish. Absolutely sad, and yet we take our stupidity to an even higher level by dyeing fish. Now I know peta is an absolutely useless and misguided organization but where are they now? They probably don't care about this cause fish aren't cute and cuddly.
They probably don't care about this cause fish aren't cute and cuddly.
. . . until you call them Sea Kittens.
Reactions: 1
. . . until you call them Sea Kittens.
Oh that's right is that what peta is calling fish these days? Sea Kittens? LMAO!!
Wouldn't it be fun to take the peta people on an excursion? I'm thinking dress them up in seal suits and take them tubing off the coast of South Africa. Perhaps they could meet some big jumping sea kittens!!:D
Reactions: 1
Wouldn't it be fun to take the peta people on an excursion? I'm thinking dress them up in seal suits and take them tubing off the coast of South Africa. Perhaps they could meet some big jumping sea kittens!!:D
You don't have to go that far, they've documented full breeches off the coast of California as well... I suspect if they tried on the Atlantic coast where there are seal colonies, they could get them to do it there as well.

Ed
For just one member of PETA a day, you can help keep the Great White Sea Kittens fed. So please, won't you donate today?
Reactions: 3
That's an experiment I'll leave up to you, Ed. I'm thinking that I'd rather not have a pack of wild wolves in my living room! I'm going to take you word on it!
Laughs.. there are actually some easy examples to prove it that don't require having to learn to be part of a pack while they tear your house apart when you aren't looking...
One of the easy examples is that domestic dogs have developed enzymes that allow them to break down different starchs than wolves can. For example if you feed a standard pelleted dog food to wolves (regardless of brand), you will cause massive diarrhea in the wolves. The reason is because wolves can't break down some of the starches that are combined in the pellets. This is because dogs have a long history of scavenging human food and feeding on cooked and modified starches (it wasn't until close to the turn of the century that people even began using premade dog foods... until that time, the dog got left over scraps or scraps baked into a loaf with extra bread dough. Dry dog foods are a relatively recent phenomena....

Ed
See less See more
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.