Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some very interesting ones out there. I just wanted to share some of mine that I've been growing. Many of these are temperate species that have been growing just fine in my vivs long term. I'm mainly posting this for manuran as he was interested in seeing some pics.

I don't really know the names of most of these unfortunately. Maybe manuran might have an idea

Unknown centipede looking liverwort

A nice fissidens moss species

A colony of fissidens bryoides

A strange compact tree liverwort species with tips that curl downward

More of the compact tree liverwort with a tiny ricchardia species

Plagiomnium species

Another unidentified fissidens species. Very compact and thick growth

I have no clue, but it's cool and translucent

Another strange centipede like liverwort

A dicranium species

Another really cool centipede looking species with leaves that are more planer to each other than flat to the ground. One of my favorites

And one of my new kiddos. Got 3 of them from sports doc.

Manuran, any idea what any of these could be?

Josh

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow, those are bitchin! :) I was curious about the mosses/liverworts in some mantella pics you posted. Thanks for the tentative IDs, very cool. What species is the jungle cacti is in the last pic? JVK

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, I have a lot of them, always figured they were just good ol moss. haha.
They are just good ol moss ;) the ebanoui you sent me are living in that moss. They love it.

Jkv, the cactus is some type of rhipsalis. I don't know the species however.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks, I was just curious as I've wanted to use a Rhipsalis for the Melanophryniscus tank. Just was not sure if any of the "Home Depot species"
would be appropriate. Looks like that species can handle some consistent humidity without rotting. It also looks like your tanks must be awesome, full tank shots sure would be nice... ;) JVK

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure, but it's nice lookin stuff! I have some of it in my vivs. I have another species that has very similar growth but is dark dark green.

·
Registered
401 Posts
That looks like mine (unidentified)
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/plants/52139-liverwort-tiny-bright-green-pics.html
This I now consider a nuisance. Somebody mentioned, and it is true, that when it gets happy and spreads, it forms a waterproof mat. And it is currently spreading all over my big tank, and blocking the growth of selfseeding sinningias and creeping ferns.
At this point I wish I knew of a way to stop it!

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
A diluted peroxide solution kills it, but will probably kill your mosses at the same time

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why don't you just pick it out by hand? It won't get rid of it, but it would seriously reduce its spread and give your seeds a chance to germinate.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'll experiment outside the tank first. And hopefully take and post pictures.
Frogparty, starting with OTC 3% antiseptic peroxide, does it need further dilution?

·
Registered
314 Posts
That looks like mine (unidentified)
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/plants/52139-liverwort-tiny-bright-green-pics.html
This I now consider a nuisance. Somebody mentioned, and it is true, that when it gets happy and spreads, it forms a waterproof mat. And it is currently spreading all over my big tank, and blocking the growth of selfseeding sinningias and creeping ferns.
At this point I wish I knew of a way to stop it!
I'm really proud of this little liverwort! :eek: That's about a years growth, and I wouldn't mind a bit if it takes over the tank :) (granted, there's nothing really cool in the tank that potentially could be taken over) This tank is lighted with a reef fixture, and the liverwort literally glows (1st pic). Very "bioluminescent" and "Avataresque". JVK

·
Registered
387 Posts
Those are some neat pics. Nice seeing a different types all in one place! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
It is really pretty, cheerful and brightens up any area. I'm just being stubborn because it won't share space with my tiny sinningias. There are lots of other places in my tank that it likes and can be happy.

For me, it seems to love growing on sphagnum moss, long strands or milled, so part of my experiment will involve testing vermiculite as a possible substitute in soil mix. Maybe S. muscicola will like it, and the liverwort won't, and I'll be home free. Or perhaps a little artwork using peroxide and a paintbrush will suffice to let tiny plantlets get a root-hold before it grows back.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I'm not sure the "centipede looking liverwort" and "cool and translucent" are actually liverwort... I've got an "aquatic" moss that decided to climb up the side of the glass in the tank (with a low water level) which looks just like that. Could it actually be some of the moss that was growing around it?

jkooiman - it will be interesting to see if that's liverworts or baby ferns :D Every time they pop up I always wonder which way it will go...

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not sure the "centipede looking liverwort" and "cool and translucent" are actually liverwort... I've got an "aquatic" moss that decided to climb up the side of the glass in the tank (with a low water level) which looks just like that. Could it actually be some of the moss that was growing around it?

jkooiman - it will be interesting to see if that's liverworts or baby ferns :D Every time they pop up I always wonder which way it will go...
They are indeed liverworts and not moss. These are liverwort species native to washington state that I have been growing for some time now. Trust me. They are not mosses. I found a website that identified them. I'll see if I can find it again.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I wondered that myself, but it's been growing in there for a year +/-, and hasn't thrown any fronds. I haven't the slightest clue how to tell the difference between the two (juvenile fern/liverworts). On the really zoomed in macro-shot I edited the pic a bit to get clarity on veining/pores for that reason. JVK

1 - 20 of 42 Posts