Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to know if there is still some froggers out there who might have sustained and still working with some of the 04 amazing pets " bruno" pums

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Most of what was imported as "Bruno" was later revealed to be the green "Chiriqui Grande" population. I'm not sure there were ever any true Bruno frogs in the hobby...but EricM would have more info on those specifics.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The first shipments of pumilio that came in 04 did not come with any site data for business reasons of the exporter. That being said we as hobbyists are left to classify the frogs as best we can. Using the pumilio morph guide on Marcus's Tropical Experience site the bruno morph was the most likely fit and thus was used until more information came out regarding the collection site, which proved to be chiriqui grande. I showed a number of these frogs to Chris van der Lingen at the NAAC conference and he seemed to think they were a bit to large to be bruno but very similar in phenotype.

Hope this helps
eRic

·
Registered
507 Posts
Did Chris have any other information or thoughts regarding them?

I have some growing up, hope to have some pairs around frogday.

thanks
ERic

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
U know, honestly I hope Ray or one of the others will chime in....

I recall him speaking about them, and their size, but with his accent :-0, I dont want to misquote. I didnt 'get' it all....sorry.

I remember that import though...and the controversy, and now the lack of any Bruno or Chiriqui around at all....now [where did they all go frogger friends?? ]

I wish you luck Eric.

Mail me a pair when you are ready.... I cant make FD though....so Fedex will have to do ;-)

Shawn

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
These guys are awesome, extremely variable. Unfortunately I couldn't track down any females and wound up letting them go. Here are the 2 males I had from Eric.

It's too bad they are so under appreciated. The colors were much nicer in person.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts

as you can see i had one of the most spectacular females. the male by comparison was pretty bland, but hey theyre still great looking frogs. unfortunately (like many others whove commented here) i lost my pair. the central heat broke, then the back up heat broke, and i lost everything within about 18" of the floor.

james

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Wow your male looks an awful lot like mine. Hopefully that's not the case if you lost it however ;( It's too bad there hasn't been much success with this population.

On a side note, what's the deal with the Chiriqui Rivers? I haven't really seen anyone with them or heard much on if they are the same or different.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Wow your male looks an awful lot like mine. Hopefully that's not the case if you lost it however ;(
nope. i got the male from eric in trade for an extra darklands

James, if you picked that spotted one up at the last NWFF...I believe I had my eye on it for the entire show.
nope. those pictures are pretty old. i lost he frogs over a year ago. i picked up the female in a deal with another frogger where she was thrown in for a minimal charge (this was 2+ years ago)

im working hard to rebuild the lost parts of my collection (plus a few new ones) and the chiriqui are one of the harder ones to come across.

james

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
actually come to think of it i think eric may have said something about that male not having worked out and having been sent back to him. so it might be the same. its been awhile and im not the best at remembering those sorts of fine details discussed on the phone.
james

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
One in the same, I believe. The Rio Chiriqui is actually up in Costa Rica.
Interesting. Really wish we could get better info when frogs come in. That's hard to do when people are willing to spend so much on a mix of popas though :rolleyes:

actually come to think of it i think eric may have said something about that male not having worked out and having been sent back to him. so it might be the same. its been awhile and im not the best at remembering those sorts of fine details discussed on the phone.
james
I didn't send mine back to Eric. Considering both were from him it's not surprising odd patterns pop up on multiple frogs. I had just never seen any others with coloring like that. I wonder how many people are working with separate bloodlines.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Interesting. Really wish we could get better info when frogs come in. That's hard to do when people are willing to spend so much on a mix of popas though :rolleyes:
It seems the price of those Popas is coming down, saw an add on KS for $80 each 6+ $65 each...for the record, I share most people's desire for better locale info...

·
Registered
321 Posts
One in the same, I believe. The Rio Chiriqui is actually up in Costa Rica.
The morph is actually 'Chiriqui Grande,' named after the town near which they are found on the mainland in Panama.

This morph must have a high mortality rate, I lost my calling male from Eric as well...

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
nope. i got the male from eric in trade for an extra darklands

nope. those pictures are pretty old. i lost he frogs over a year ago. i picked up the female in a deal with another frogger where she was thrown in for a minimal charge (this was 2+ years ago).
Actually, I just realized the spotted frog I was talking about was the one in thedude's picture.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The morph is actually 'Chiriqui Grande,' named after the town near which they are found on the mainland in Panama.
Right, but there is also a river that flows through near there...hence the reason people also call them "Rio Chiriqui." An incorrect name (as I already stated--the actual Rio Chiriqui is in Costa Rica), but one that people use. I believe there is a red Chiriqui Grande population as well, but don't remember if that was on the same side or across from the green population in relation to the river.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts