Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:? Hi everyone I have a somewhat interesting dilemma. I have a 46 gal bowfront that ive had set up for several weeks. I have no live plants only fake ones. I have a eheim canister filter below which is in use. On my slate pieces I have a brown substance depositing is self on the ledges. Does any one know what it might be?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Brown Algae. What is your lighting like? A lot of the brown and red algaes like poor lighting. It's natural to have algae in the moist area, but I'd bet if you boosted your light it would go away or be replace by green algae.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D Brown algae, no kidding. All I have is a standard flourescent that came with the package. What type would be good for this? Is the brown algae bad?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Jabba,
The brown algae (I'd have to look up the specific types) is not a problem. But you may note that your plants are not flourishing in a poorly lit viv. Generally a full spectrum bulb and a fixure of amble power for the area should change things for the better. There are many posts on lighting if you do a search. Hope this helps.
Mike

·
Registered
886 Posts
"brown algae" is actually not algae in most cases, but diatoms. IME (freshwater aquariums) it usually will go away on it's own, once the tank matures a bit. I'm not sure if a) we're both talking about the same thing (diatoms), or b) the same principles in the freshwater aquarium will hold true in your vivarium... but I suspect so if it is in/on the water feature.

hth,
Josh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts