Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a neo. chiquita linda in my new 40g tank that rooted like a week after i planted it; but I have other broms like an andy ann that's been planted for the same amount of time, but has no new roots yet. Any idea what causes this? It's not like they're falling down or anything, I was just curious.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
is it receiving the same amount of light as the chiquita? Is it more shaded, etc? Light will have the most effect, , but also the morph of brom may be a bit slower growing. the possibilities are endless as to what would cause this, however the amount of light is your most likely culprit.....

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Seems like my broms root out fastest from the top down, so I suspect light plays a major role. The other factor that seems to influence this is how young the broms might be. My smaller neos and pups seem to root really fast, but the larger older pups, and anything that was potted that I cleared the old roots and planted take much longer. I also think that the variey plays a major role. My chiquita linda seemed to root out first of all the broms I planted at the same time. Hell it is now FLOWERING, yet I have some larger broms that have just now started putting out roots.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. I think you're all probably right. I figured it might be a bunch of things like that, but I just wanted to see what everyone else's experiences were. I have a neo fireball that came potted :( so it's going to take forever to root. oh well. Sucker is in the cork pretty good.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Pull back, or tear off the small dried leaves near the base of the brom. It will expose the whiter coloured section of the stem and will root much faster this way.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ahh, very interesting. didn't think of that grimm. i'll see if i can do that.

·
Registered
555 Posts
For what it's worth, I just finished planting my first viv a couple weeks ago(still moving and tinkering with plants though). I have two chiquita linda's at the same horizontal level (similar light exposure), but one is in a drier spot than the other. The moist-footed one has sent out roots like crazy. The drier one, not so much. The other neo's have started to color up already, but haven't grown much for roots.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts