Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone here suggest any bromeliads for a 10g vert tank that A) will not get insanely huge, and B) have large enough leaf axils for tadpole development for r.imitators (probably tarapoto or varadero)

If you have a link to where you bought it/can buy it, that'd be great. I have a cluster of Chiquita Linda broms from Tropiflora in a 3" pot. Like 3 plants fully formed, plus 2 pups coming off. I ordered it a few weeks ago, thinking I'd just get one, but I got like 6 altogether, but only used one in a different tank.

·
Registered
275 Posts
For 10 gal. verts I use mainly fireballs or sometimes hybrids. i like the fireballs though because they stay decently small and pup quite often so they are easy to propogate.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi,

Will this be a breeder tank? The Neo broms seem to be the staple for hardy terrarium bromeliads, but like all other epiphytes, they will need good air circulation and be planted in a spot that gets plenty of light.

With that said, if you use the Linda brom you have in your tank, make sure it gets plenty of light, some air circulation, and you should be okay. Neo Fireball are good, and really any "brom pack" that you pick up from a sponsor site will be great sizes for vivariums.

Also, if you are concerned about not having enough broms in the tank for breeding your Imis, here's an experience of mine - My Imis laid eggs in a brom once when they were in there for the first time, then relocated to film canisters. I definitely recommend white film canisters in your tank!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well I've ordered two fireballs from Tropiflora. Yes, this will likely be a breeder. I figure I'm a poor law student, so cranking out a few tadpoles to sell every few months should help me with these ***gosh-darn*** books. Thanks man. I will definitely be adding some film canisters. But I thought they deposited the tads in the brom axils to grow, no?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
+1 on the andy ann, that hybrid holds an amazing amount of water for it's size.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you have a link to that? i googled it and cannot find this thing.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Well I've ordered two fireballs from Tropiflora. Yes, this will likely be a breeder. I figure I'm a poor law student, so cranking out a few tadpoles to sell every few months should help me with these goddamn books. Thanks man. I will definitely be adding some film canisters. But I thought they deposited the tads in the brom axils to grow, no?
Nah, most of the time they will let the egg grow in the film canister. At least for my Imis.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I will say that my imis (thanks Will!) exclusively sleep in a brom. They love climbing all over it.

Reactions: Jens1976

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I will say that my imis (thanks Will!) exclusively sleep in a brom. They love climbing all over it.
No problem Tim :).

Allow me to clarify my previous post - I thought you were asking how tads were developing in the tank, not the parents transporting tads (silly me!)

As far as egg-laying sites go, my Imis have laid eggs on a bromeliad only once. They have laid eggs on the background (polygem), on the glass of the tank , and any thick leaves they can find off plants in the tank. I keep film canisters at 45* angles, some with a little water for egg-laying, others for moving the tads over.

When I started my tank I had both black and white canisters, but they definitely showed a preference for white ones as time passed. Definitely recommend a misting system for these guys; I have my mister run 3 times a day during the rainy season (about a month) and they pop out eggs like mad.

Hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts