Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of building a new cube paludarium around a cool piece of driftwood that I have lying around and am considering setting up the display as an open-topped tank. I'm not planning on having frogs in this setup but I would like some broms, orchids, tillandsias and other epiphytes.

Even with water in the bottom of the setup, the humidity will be a lot lower in an open topped tank. I imagine this will be fine for tillandsias. Any suggestions for mini orchids, broms and other epiphytes that would would do well in this setting?

Also, I know that many of these plants appreciate some air circulation in a more sealed viv. Would an open-topped setup provide enough passive air movement that additional fans are unnecessary?

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Fans unnecessary. Most all broms will do fine, excel for the weird high humidity Species like Racinaea crispa. If you spray 3x a week or so you can use just about any orchid you want

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I'm thinking of building a new cube paludarium around a cool piece of driftwood that I have lying around and am considering setting up the display as an open-topped tank. I'm not planning on having frogs in this setup but I would like some broms, orchids, tillandsias and other epiphytes.

Even with water in the bottom of the setup, the humidity will be a lot lower in an open topped tank. I imagine this will be fine for tillandsias. Any suggestions for mini orchids, broms and other epiphytes that would would do well in this setting?

Also, I know that many of these plants appreciate some air circulation in a more sealed viv. Would an open-topped setup provide enough passive air movement that additional fans are unnecessary?
The plants would still benefit from some air circulation. Passive air circulation doesn't always mean that all of the air will circulate so a small fan will really help with that issue.

Ed

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
In reality the success you will have with orchids in that set up will be dictated by the amount of light you have and overall temperatures

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
This would work just fine with the right kinds of plants.

Do you want to keep all species orchids, or would you be OK using hybrids too? There are some real cheap and easy dwarf hybrids that have been showing up in nurseries and chain stores.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The plants would still benefit from some air circulation. Passive air circulation doesn't always mean that all of the air will circulate so a small fan will really help with that issue.

Ed
I'm probably going to plumb the tank for a cool mist humidifier. Would the periodic influx of new air from the humidifier (say, 2X a day) provide adequate circulation (in addition to the open top)? I'm hoping to make this a background-free setup and I think it will be a challenge to unobtrusively hide a fan.

frogparty said:
In reality the success you will have with orchids in that set up will be dictated by the amount of light you have and overall temperatures
I'm not planning on any really unusual broms - maybe some smaller neos, e.g. Chiquita Linda. I don't think light should be a problem. I haven't decided for sure, but I'm probably going to go with a MH pendant. What is the concern with temp (too high/too low)?

hydrophyte said:
Do you want to keep all species orchids, or would you be OK using hybrids too? There are some real cheap and easy dwarf hybrids that have been showing up in nurseries and chain stores.
I'm fine with hybrids (I'm not really an orchid connoisseur at this stage). Cheap and easy dwarf hybrids sound great. Any suggestions for specific species?

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Bulbophyllum hybrids like kalimpong and Cindy dukes would work out well, and bloom 3 or 4 times a year for you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts