Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 brom pups, the mother had died and deteriorated so i threw it out it basically came out of the soil itself, the pups were doing fine then i noticed the leaves were falling apart from each other there seems to be no root system or anything supporting it. what can i do to keep these pups from dying? also i have another brom the flower died and fell off but the leaves are healthy, no pups yet though how should i go about this one just wait? it seems there is no room for pups to grow with this one being the grow from the side.

I hope the pics uploaded correctly!

Attachments

·
Registered
837 Posts
I am far from being an expert.. BUT my guess would be too much water??!!!! Anybody else?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Too much water and/or not enough air movement would be my guess.
If water sat on the base of the plant and never dried it could have rotten the plant. Air movement would have helped dry it out a little.

The large brom will likely produce pups from inbetween it's leaves, like in this picture:

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I see that they are still in pots, and that the base is pale. Could be a sign of nitrogen migration. Are they getting enough light?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Faster growing parts of the plant pulling nitrogen from older or less important parts. Supposed to be why tomato plant's leaves can turn yellow late in the season when fruiting heavily.
Honestly, I'm not even sure if broms can suffer from this or not. I was more wondering about light than anything. I've seen plenty of broms fail from lack of light.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Faster growing parts of the plant pulling nitrogen from older or less important parts.
If this were the case, the lower leaves would be the ones to turn chlorotic as nitrogen is moved to the new leaves.

I'm not a bromeliad expert by any means, but I would dry everything down a bit. It looks like the centre of that larger one is rotting a little as well, and it would be good to let it callus over a little. The soil seems a bit saturated as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts