Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats a good bromeliad for around a 20 gallon tank with Auratus? i'd like to get several, but, not sure what types dont get too large

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Noregelia cocktail, shamrock, blueberry muffin
Vresia racinaea
To name a few....

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Fireball, Donger, Zoe are some of my favorites and easy to find. There are hundreds of excellent candidates, and probably a lot more that. Any really will do. Check out the sponsors. Don't be afraid to order plants as 'grower's choice' or 'package deals' - even if you don't know what they are sending, they are probably sending something fairly nice. You can get interesting things that way. Tell them what size tank you are building, that helps you get the right sized specimens.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I agree, growers choice usually is a great way to go if your not too picky on colors. I always recommend larger and thicker leaved broms for larger frogs. Some of my choices for a 20g viv would be chubby, guinea, inca x fireball, deep regard, deep pleasure, shamrock, dungsiana x giant, jazz, domino, brandywine, rubrifolia, zoe, big O, small wonder, small world, fire on deck, hokulea, sunday best, blushing tiger, olens 696, and so on. Some of these would max you out but make great viv plants with lots of color.
Jason

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Chubby is a great one that holds a ton of water... Good call.
But a very slow grower and costs about double what you would normally pay for a mini neo.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks alot, i will check them out. I want plants for function. places for females to lay eggs and hold water for humidity. I'm so concerned with color.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I used to be afraid of "growers choice". It seemed to me that they might be trying to palm off whatever isn't selling. You know, the ugly ones that no one else wanted. Eventually it occurred to me that if they did that, they would not earn your repeat business or your referrals to your friends. Since then I have used growers choice many times and always been pleased. Most are happy to work within your guidelines, i.e. you can say, "I don't want anything super bright red because I won't be able to see my Benedicta's heads sticking out and I'd prefer under 12" full grown size.", and they are happy to pick some nice choices out for you.
I've also described to people what style viv I was after and even sent pictures of my hardscaping to get ideas for other good plants to accent my structures.
So far it has worked out wonderfully.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Same here Doug...I was paranoid that I would get b-grade broms if I chose growers choice, but I was way wrong. Every time I've gotten grower's choice I've been really happy. Guess it helps that I'm not a plant guy, so as long as they are healthy and green I'm happy. Last time I ordered growers choice (from a sponsor...that has replied to this post) I got some beautiful large neos for like $3 a piece...hard to beat that deal.
OP: If you aren't worried about getting specific broms, go with grower's choice. First off you can afford more plants (because they are often very inexpensive) and secondly you will end up with nice plants. So you get more, pick and choose the ones you want to keep, and pass along any you don't really like...and save money. I think that's a win-win-win:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts