Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Probably a dumb question! But here it goes! I have a bunch of Neo's that I am trying to mount on some driftwood..can I silicone the side of the stolon with just a dab of it to secure them in place..?? Thanks :) And if so is GE silicone I, safe to do this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,254 Posts
People use hot glue because it tends to be easier to remove, should the brom need to be taken off for whatever reason. I use fishing line, then push in sphag wherever the line sticks out so frogs don't get caught up in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
I use floral wire because I got frustrated trying to use the fish line method. All I do is wrap the wire around the base of the brom and twist the wire together under the driftwood. I then take hot glue and put dabs of it on the ends of the wire so that the frogs dont get hurt. Then stuff some sphagnum moss between the brom and the wire to help cover up the wire. Once the brom roots you just cut the wire off and remove it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,159 Posts
Why not just drill little holes and insert the stolons into the wood? Then a little bit of NZ sphagnum around the base to help the plants to establish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
Why not just drill little holes and insert the stolons into the wood? Then a little bit of NZ sphagnum around the base to help the plants to establish.
I mount my broms like Slipperhead , but Im going to try your way. I think it will look better and hide those stolons. I actually just picked up some nice neo's from a freinds nursery. Ill post some pics later today of what I got and some of her tables in the shade house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,328 Posts
You can just insert the small amount stolon into a crevice, stuff some sphag around it, and thumb tack a leaf to the background to stabilize the plant until it roots in and can support its own weight. You could also just use some toothpicks to secure the brom until it roots in. I really like the thumbtack method, and it can be removed afer bout a month. It allows you to mount them where ther is no room to tie or wire the brom in, and no need for hot glue, or silicone...both of which i havent had great luck with long term
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,759 Posts
I know a Tillandsia grower that told me regular silicone will kill tillys. He has a "special" silicone that he uses (and markets). I don't know if the same holds true for broms or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Sometimes I use gray reef epoxy to mount neos in tricky spots until they can establish themselves. I have found that SI takes a lot longer to cure than I want to spend holding or propping a bromeliad up. Lastly, Based on past threads I believe that the majority consider GE silicone 1 safe for use in terrariums.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
I've also had good luck with the thumbtac method. Instead of fishing line I take that green or orange mesh fabric that bags of oranges/apples come in. I like it cause it forms a net that holds the brom. I reallya like how well they root up with this method. This would work well I think for your broms with small/no stolen.

Shaw
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top