Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what happens after the brom flowers. Will the flowers pollinate themselves, or do they need another brom? If the flowers get pollinated, and seeds develop, what are the chances that they will sprout as is (in the center of the brom)?

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I don't think the broms will self-pollinate, but hybridizers will cross broms by pollinating them themselves, otherwise its up to bugs and birds. I've self-pollinated other plants, so while they typically don't you could use the flower's own pollen to pollenate it. I've never tried this on neos, but have tried it on vriesea.

The point of seeds in the brom is for the species to disperse, they wouldn't be staying on the plant and germinating there..... thats what the pups are for.

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you want to try your hand at growing from seed, become a member of the BSI. I think it $30 for a year membership. You can have access to the seed bank, online archives, and you get the BSI journal subscription. Seeds are like 20 seeds=$1. I never actually tried though, just read the subscription. I am going to though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts