Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I know when I can Unpin my Brom... when will I know if it has taken root well enough to the tree trunk to remove pins?

Also any one know the type of brom this is picked it up at lowes

Will oppening the viv 2-3 times a day be enough air flow for Orchids and Tillandsia's

Thanks for all the help everyone.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so upon further research I have learned that there are a crap ton of different kinds of Bromes Some that require soil (very good drainage) and some that can be more air plant style.
Im no green thumb!

What I am looking to learn now is how do you mount more of a air plant style brome?
Slice or cut a hole in the BG and stuff the brome in?

I have a fresh brome that is pinned to the tree with Sphagnum balled up and pinned to the roots for moisture but not I'm second guessing this method. its only 3 days pinned so I cant yet tell if this is going to be sufficiant.

I think the stolen is like a long solid root?
Any pics showing differance between Roots and Stolen.
All the Bromes I have got tinny root strings and no Stolen.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The roots emenate from the stolon, the stolon is the thick stemmy part of the plant that transitions into the leaves as you go up. As for mounting a brom, I just cut the stringy soil roots off (NOT the stolon) take some skewers, make a v in the background by poking them in and crossing each other, then stick the brom in it and make sure it touches the background...

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
That is a Vriesea hybrid. None of the Vriesea I have grown produce stolons like a Neo, the pups grow directly out of the leaf axils of the parent.

Example:

·
Registered
135 Posts
With my experience with what you got pictured there, those broms do better on the floor of the tank. Those with stolen/offsets are more epiphitic. It should take 3 or so weeks before they have a stable root structure in the right environment. The roots don't really help feed the plant so dead roots can be trimmed off. It it's young enough, new roots should develop. There are multiple ways to mount including fishing line, pins, or glue - it also depends on what you are mounting to, but glue works for most. The glue I'm thinking about are the ones used in glue guns, just make sure it cools and still tacky before mounting. Have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.