Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I am am looking for a mid to a lager size (well i say mid and larger size but all the resources i am finding do not describe what is mid or large to them!) bromeliad to plant next to a water feature. I want something larger because I want the leaves to extend over the water feature and give vertical high to my vivarium as I have a large horizontal 90 gallon tank. I also want something with colour but at the same time want the plant to be function in case the frogs want to bread!

Neoregelia ‘Echo' seems to fit that bill... again frogtotall says it is med - large but i don't know how big that really is... anyways my next question is... would thumbnail frogs share a bromeliad and both bread and raise tadpoles in it?

I want to ensure there are enough spots for the frogs to bread and do their thing if they so choose. if they wont share i'll need more bromeliads to assist with this.

EDIT: forgot to add I plan to be planting this into my substrate as i dont have to many other options... I do have a false bottom so drainage shouldn't be an issue. but something that can do well in the substrate... if nothing will do well in the substrate is there something i can put on the substrate and then put the plant onto that?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
In that circumstance I have mounted a brom to a 6 inch square of cork bark and set that flat on the substrate.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Could you not also plant it into directly onto some spaghum moss Doug? just curious.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Planting directly into sphagnum or your substrate can often cause root rot. It depends on how often you mist, how much moisture your subtrate holds, etc. The roots on the types of broms we use in our vivs are not soil roots. They are designed to hold the plant onto a mount, such as tree bark.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts