Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was looking at putting some broms in my display tank to color it up and make it look nicer. It is my first build, so it is a pretty small tank so I can get a feel of how to make it. It measures 20x10x12, and I was wondering how many small broms I could place in it. I was thinking 2, and that 3 might be too many since the space is small. I wouldn’t be able to place any by the waterfall since that area needs to remain open (back right) for maintenance. So, would I be able to put 2 bromeliads in this tank? (picture below) They would probably have to be small and I would not want them to block out a ton of light from the bottom of the tank. Would this be doable?
Plant Organism Pet supply Vegetation Aquatic plant

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey there - what are you planning to keep in that tank? Asking because almost all species of dart frogs do not benefit from water features (the opposite actually) and your tank looks very wet / does not have leaf litter.

Broms - generally I'd suggest mounting against the background or branches. anywhere in the top left - middle. You can also add branches / wood and anchor them against that. You should be able to fit 2-3 smaller ones (i.e. Neoregalia, e.g. Fireball) along that back wall or a branch.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a fire belly toad that lives in the tank that seems to enjoy it. The water feature is all for him, and I thought that since I have a pond for him I mine as well put in a waterfall. This is an older picture, the spagnum moss is not in the tank anymore and I am planning to put some leaf litter to make it more dry. do you have any recommendations to make the tank look nicer? I am going to add walls on both sides of the tank that will be covered in moss and vines. I like you idea with the wood, but will that block out a lot of light? Here is a more recent picture, he brings lots of sphagnum into his pond and dirties it up, but the water is still pretty clean. You can see him if you look in the back of the pond.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ah - sneaky little guy. This looks good for a firebelly (sorry I had assumed this was for darts). I don't think they climb too much, so Broms may be more for your viewing pleasure.

You could try adding some hides or lower cork ledges (to make a little tunnel underneath) or vined plants to add some flair to this (ficus pumila, wandering jew, nerve plants) that will grow in nicely over time. Also some appropriately sized seed pods maybe. Just don't take up floor space with "vertical" branches since these guys won't be able to use them as well.

Btw, from personal experience: water features / falls like this are VERY prone to breaking down, especially with "biomatter" in the water. Not sure how easy it is to tear out your pump to clean / replace, but that may cause issues for your background. For my (select few) water features, have a pump / reservoir / filter outside the tank and run it for a few hours a day.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your response, I’m planning on doing what you said with the cork rounds on the two glass sides (not built yet). If I do this correctly, it will take no floor space up. Also, the pump is very easy to access. I take off the lid and in the back right corner, there is a space where I can easily grab to pump if I need to get it. Also when you mentioned ”biomass” what did you mean by that? Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts