Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I visited MAtthaei Botanical Gardens and bought a bromeliad for 6.00. It was listed as Neoreglia Bromeliad, but had no specific name.
I thought Neo. Domino, but the brom is at least 18" wide and 12" tall. (the pics have my Green Tree Frog in them)

Full Brom Shot

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I don't have an ID for you, but can tell you that it's a huge plant that offsets well. I have a couple of 3'+ clumps.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another weird thing:
It was bought planted in a pot with soil. Is it terrestrial or should I put it in the air like other neo's.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The water in that brom looks pretty dirty. I'm not an expert but I have read from some sources that the brom cup should always have fresh clean water in it. I'd recommend thoroughly flooding the cup with clean water until it overflows and displaces all the dirty water. Clean water prevents diseases and rotting out I believe.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Yeah. You think they stay all pristine and clean in the canopy? The decaying material that gets caught is how they get fertilized in addition to animal droppings

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes! Matthaei Botanical Gardens are listed as one of the recipients of Kents Bromeliads.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yeah. You think they stay all pristine and clean in the canopy? The decaying material that gets caught is how they get fertilized in addition to animal droppings
I will agree with your statement that the brom cups may fill with detritus in the jungle canopy. However I would argue that the water itself remains clean and fresh due to frequent rainfall. So regardless of detritus buildup, the water would in general be refreshed on a regular basis. That said, you do have far more experience and knowledge than I do.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are two other broms from the NARBC that have no ID. Can anyone ID the for me?

And is this a brom pup that is just starting to form?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts