Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for information of caring for my bromeliad. Its base is about 10" from my 25w xenon lighting fixture. My terrarium substrate is a 4" layer of aquarium gravel topped with about 3"-4" of Zilla Coconut Husk bedding (from a brick). I didn't think that would be so great for the bromeliad, so I got a 4" peat planter and stuck in into the substrate. I put medium orchid bark covering the bottom of the planter, then I put in a layer of clay(?) mud that the bromeliad was planted in, and then I put the coconut husk bedding on the top layer. It's packed down to where the plant doesn't wobble. How dry should it get before I water it? How wet should it get before I let it dry out? Do I need to aerate the substrate I have it in? Anything else I should know about it?

The following photo is the same as what I have.

·
Registered
995 Posts
well, first, it's a tillandsia...[still a bromeliad, just pointing it out]

now...

answers are in red...

How dry should it get before I water it?
I only Water my tilly's once every 2 weeks...is this in a viv? if so, you can't really let it completely dry out, I suggest mounting it on the back wall of the vivarium.
How wet should it get before I let it dry out?
Huh? dont let it sit in water...for ever...
Do I need to aerate the substrate I have it in? Anything else I should know about it?
mount it.
The following photo is the same as what I have.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, first, it's a tillandsia...[still a bromeliad, just pointing it out]

now...

answers are in red...
It being a tilly makes more sense lol.

I looked it up and it's a tillansia cyanea, which "is the only bromeliad that can be grown in a pot". One website said that they like loose medium to grow in, which I provided in it's peat planter. The same website said that they don't take water and nutrients from the roots, but from the leaves, so that's where I'll water it. I'll let the substrate around it dry out, which should be easy since it's the highest point in the viv with a good 7" of drainage layer under it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts