Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to darts and know next to NOTHING about plants,but i was told darts like broms..so i bought one.i have it in my 10 gallon tank.i have all ESU moss for substrate and im using the ESU slimline lighting.well,my problem is the broms 'leaves' are browning and shriveling up.i leave the lights on from about 10AM-11PM.is that too much light? i dont think i am over watering it...i use a hand mister about twice a day(a few big squirts) and the moss isnt soaking wet.please help.

Mike

·
Registered
298 Posts
brom

Mike; its a little hard to make a guess. I will need more into. How long have you had it in the tank. Do you know what kind it is? Is there water in the vase? Are the leaves turning brown at the bottom or top? A picture MIGHT be helpful, but it may not show enough detail, so don't put great effert in that. What kind of water do youuse?..........

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I had this happen to me when i was overwatering. Are they planted in the substrate or grown epyphitacally? What kind of broms are they?

Luke

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well,i have NO CLUE what kind of brom it is...its got a yellow 'flower' in the middle...its still in the lil plastic pot i bought it in.its been in the tank for a lil over a week.i use DISTILLED water

·
Registered
121 Posts
Maybe the brom you have is Neoregelia fireball...

is not good idea to keep the broms planted, as they grows in the higher parts of the trees, and don´t like to be wet always. If you keep them wet all time, they´ll rot easily, because the wet makes they prone to bacterial and fungus infections.

it is best to keep them in the background of the tank, or planted in a well drained tank.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am having a similar problem with my new broms, that is the outer leaves are shriviling up and browning. Two from the set have already died, they broke off of their stem. Could anybody tell me what I am doing wrong? They are all various forms of neoregilia. I put the 6700K light I use on my terrarium over the broms at night. I mist them everday. What am I doing wrong? Why are they dying? Could it simply be overwatering? Would daily misting be too much water? If it is, how are they going to stand up in a vivarium?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Amanda

·
Registered
621 Posts
Amanda, Im worried about you losing these broms, Explain exactly how they are set up. They are in cardboard or Great stuff on top of cardboard. What 2 did you lose, I actually just disccovered 2 deaths myself last night. Pauciflora and PacifloraX Wilsonanae (mispelled). The small green ones with shaggy axils and purple spot, and the skinny multi colored ones. I lost one of each of these, but Zach has not lost any.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Jace, I've PMed you. I am more concerned with how a bromeliad should be cared for and how that diverges from how I am caring for mine. Thanks though. Why do you think yours have died?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts