Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my neos are tied to vertical wood/jungle vine features with gardening twine, but I’m concerned about the loose fibers on the twine long term. I’ve been scouring the forums, lots of varying opinions, but I figure I’d bring up the question again, how might be the best way to keep them ones features? I’m maybe thinking silicone-type glue?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
They should eventually take root and hold themselves up. I think it took mine about a month or two. Then you can remove the twine and be all good.

As for holding them in place I’m sure twine is fine until then assuming it isn’t a tangle risk for any current inhabitants. Or maybe that’s the question? Personally I used tooth picks stuck in my cork background to sort of prop up my broms until they held themselves up. I didn’t get my frogs until after the toothpicks were removed though. In a new tank I planted last night I used super glue to attach one to a branch. I believe that’s fine as I’ve use it in aquariums before but now I’m kinda curious if that was an okay move.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
Put some moss on the twine. Live moss, not sphagnum. It shouldn’t have a problem growing on it and effectively deteriorating it over time.
 

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They should eventually take root and hold themselves up. I think it took mine about a month or two. Then you can remove the twine and be all good.

As for holding them in place I’m sure twine is fine until then assuming it isn’t a tangle risk for any current inhabitants. Or maybe that’s the question? Personally I used tooth picks stuck in my cork background to sort of prop up my broms until they held themselves up. I didn’t get my frogs until after the toothpicks were removed though. In a new tank I planted last night I used super glue to attach one to a branch. I believe that’s fine as I’ve use it in aquariums before but now I’m kinda curious if that was an okay move.
Yes, I’ve had a brom in there already that I’m temporarily propping up on cork with picks, and that’s been working well. It’s the branch/vine attachments that I’m a bit more worried about in terms of stability (before and after rooting, so that’s why I’m a bit curious about the glue option. I don’t currently have any inhabitants in there, other than microfauna, so it sounds like the twine should be okay for now.
 

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put some moss on the twine. Live moss, not sphagnum. It shouldn’t have a problem growing on it and effectively deteriorating it over time.
Oh, I kind of like the moss idea. I do have a bit of live sheet moss that I was thinking of introducing to the vine anyway. I’ve seen some mounting tutorials that suggest putting a bunch of spaghnum moss over the end, but that’s just asking for rot. I suppose live moss would be okay, though.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top