Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been keeping frogs for quite a while and have found an addiction to bromeliads through time. I can take care of them but I want to know more. Any good links on subjects such as, tissue culturing, cloning and other more scientific how too's? I am esp intrested in hybridization. I spend hours trying to search the web but I never know what can apply to bromeliads and some subjects I probably just dont know exist, but I want to know.

G

·
I'm pretty sure there is a whole forum just for broms. I found it a while ago, but check the Tropiflora links page. It might be there.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Did you check out the BSI website. For 30 bucks you get the newsletter and acess to their seed bank . I signed up and never got the money order to get the seeds. The newsletter is cool. If you hadnt checked it out you should.
Bromeliad Society International
is the name

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Dont realy need tissue culture with bromeliads as it is quite easy to raise from seeds. Just they need light and good moisture to grow, there are several good site on how to grow from seeds. Tillandsia will take VERY long to grow though, but if your patient(or not me) you should give it a try once you get practice with other bromelia.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The BSI newsletter is great.....when it arrives. They don't really keep up with it as much as I thought they would. Still, it is worth joining just to read the archives and have access to the seed bank. They have an email forum discussion. You can also try http://www.bromelien.net

Best,

Justin

·
Registered
621 Posts
andersonii85
Have you ever got their seeds? I just never wanted to deal with money order. As far as the journal I think i got 3 or 4 the whole year. Its nice though.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
J.K.,

I got seeds last year and planted them in the greenhouse of my alma mater. They did really well and now there are at least 20 N. tigrinum growing in the tropical room. Yeah, money orders are somewhat of a hassle, but it may be worth it for some broms you never worked with or are hard to find.

3-4 journals a year? I'm lucky if I get 2...lol. They must not like me.

Justin

G

·
Howdy

Howdy folks,

first of all I'd like to say "Hello" to everyone, since this is my first post here
at your forum. Eventhough I have no experience with dendros so far,
at least I could try to help when it come to bromeliads.

@booga: Don't think there is a real need to hazzle with tissue culture as
most broms are easy to grow either from seeds or offshots. I haven't got
any experience with tissue culture due to the lack of equipment, and I also
havent heared of anybody around in our scene who is doing that, except
the big growers over in the netherlands and belgium.

@andersonii85: Nice to see you again ;-)
The BSI seems to have severe shipping problems this year, usually they
send the journals on time and they pretty much the best source of
information around. I am still waiting for issue No.2 March-April :-(

Please appologize my english, I am a little bit out of practice :roll:

Greetings, Timm

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Sorry but german schools must rock! Everyone i talk to from germany speaks great english! Included yours Timm! I have hard time speaking english, i dont see how you all do it!

Great english!

Ryan

G

·
THX for the flowers

THX for the flowers, Ryan,
but I am sorry, I can not pass this compliment to my school.
I forgot to mention that I spent a little time (12 months) in the US.:oops:

Maybe Kansas is not the place to be or to learn proper english,
but .... it got me where I am now.

At least you guys can understand me, and thats what counts ;-)

Greetings, Timm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts