Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I got this knockout brom from Ken in one of my package deals and it has flowers starting to shoot out the center. The center of the brom has about 9-10 little "spikes" starting to protrude out of it, and one has already turned into a little blue flower. How long should I expect to see these flowers? I thought I read that they usually only flower once in their lifetime, so is this going to be it? Do all broms have a flower cycle to them?

I have them under 2 35 watt PCF's, so the lighting should be sufficient.
These plants are starting to become addictive.

Mike Clark

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
and one has already turned into a little blue flower
Is this what yours looks like? This is a brom I bought from Ken also, it flowered about two months later. This blue flower has been going for about two weeks now and I'm still waiting form more of the flowers to bloom. Great question!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, that's it alright. It's a really nice brom with good red color in the center. The first blue flower has since closed up(only lasted about 1 day open) but I think it is due to me spraying it with water. Now the second and third one are poking through. Hope they last longer than the first one.

Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bromeliads only flower once in their lifetime. Each neoregelia (what you have their) will produce dozens of those blue flowers, each lasting about a day or so, before stopping and begining to decline. The "beauty" of bromeliads is that the red center or flower spike will remain attractive for months (usually). As the flowering plant declines over a period of months, it will send off "pups" which form at the bases of the lower leaves. In this way bromeliads have 2 ways to reproduce, one is the pups or offsets which is asexual and the second is by sexual reproduction. Note that sexual reproduction only occurs in non hybrids and requires another plant as they are not self pollinating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts