Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a few broms pupping out .just don't when to cut them .have some pups that can hold water "that I think I can cut". some smaller ones that i think I should wait . Just wandering when good time to cut . mostly because there not going to open up good where they are at in the tanks .thanks for feed back

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
General rule of thumb is to cut off the pups when they are 1/3 the size of the mother. Cut the stolon with a sharp scissors and cut close to the mother, not the pup.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Mitch has it right on. 1/3 the size. I have taken them smaller but they take FOREVER to put on any size if you do.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
I think I'm gonna start answering this question again. I had stopped bc its been answered about eleventy-BILLION times... :/ But I think I'm gonna change my answer...

Bromeliad pups should be cut when the rosette begins to open. Whether thats 1/3 of the size or 3/4 of the size. Some bromeliad pups will grow HUGE before the rosette opens. I never had good luck potting pups that were big but still tubes. These take forever to establish.

So cut pups when the rosette is started to open. This should apply to just about any bromeliad species.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I think I'm gonna start answering this question again. I had stopped bc its been answered about eleventy-BILLION times... :/ But I think I'm gonna change my answer...

Bromeliad pups should be cut when the rosette begins to open. Whether thats 1/3 of the size or 3/4 of the size. Some bromeliad pups will grow HUGE before the rosette opens. I never had good luck potting pups that were big but still tubes. These take forever to establish.

So cut pups when the rosette is started to open. This should apply to just about any bromeliad species.
Thanks for the pointer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts