Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope to have it by next week. I'm pretty stoked. Has anyone kept one of these weirdos? :D

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
I believe that plant is found in Venezuela, often in close proximity to Dendrobates leucomelas, if I recall a conversation from a few years accurately.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
havent grown these but i do plan to get some, have some catopsis. I do know they love lots of light
I've read this as well. I ordered only one.

I believe that plant is found in Venezuela, often in close proximity to Dendrobates leucomelas, if I recall a conversation from a few years accurately
Very interesting! I will need to read more on this brom's natural habitat. Unfortunately, there isn't room for it in the Leuc viv. The fern, orchids and tillys are doing really well. Hate to make them angry by moving them... :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
That thing will want as much light as you can possibly give it....in low light they lose that cool tubular look and kinda turn into a regular bromo....they and the Heliamphoras that they are found with get more UV radiation and lumens than any other plants kept in a terrarium.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Josh for the info. It is going in my 20L viv that has 3 coiled compact Flos, each are 26 watts. I'll def keep an eye on it. If I have to move a few plants around, the Leuc viv has two T5HO bulbs.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
I'm not so sure this plant is appropriate for a typical dart frog terrarium. They like drier conditions and tons of sun. Has anyone here successfully kept one in a dart frog viv? I'd like to see pictures.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Growing Tips | Carnivorous Plant Nursery

Found this nifty caresheet.

So, my conditions. I have an AC in the room with the frogs so the room does stay cool. The lighting... It would better suited in the Leuc viv if I am going to attemp it. However I have a CP garden outside and will bring in the plant before the first frost.

I just have been wanting to try a carnivorous brom for quite a while now.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Little update:

I have decided to grow this neat brom in a south facing window where the room grows cooler at night.

I hope in time, it'll give me some pups before the main plant dies off.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Very cool plant! Mind if I ask where you got it and how much? I'm thinking about doing a carniverous tank. The link to the caresheet you provided, do you know what the other plant in the pic is? I just got a pitcher plant that also had one in the pot. Thinkingsome kind of sundew?????
Thanks, mike

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very cool plant! Mind if I ask where you got it and how much? I'm thinking about doing a carniverous tank. The link to the caresheet you provided, do you know what the other plant in the pic is? I just got a pitcher plant that also had one in the pot. Thinkingsome kind of sundew?????
Thanks, mike
Sure thing. I get all my CPs here and have had wonderful success. He ships bareroot however unless you specify before placing the order.

Carnivorous Plants for Sale | Carnivorous Plant Nursery

The pic in the caresheet I thought was the reducta? But, I so wear glasses. :p

I really want to do a CP tank of tropicals myself. Keep in touch how yours goes?

Can you post pics of the pitcher and the sundew in question?

Thanks for showing interest!
Jessica

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Received my Reducta today and was kindly given a Cape Sundew as a gift since I have done a decent amount of business. :)

Pictures to follow in a bit.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ive tried this in one of my vivs...it declined due to high heat..I bought two and the second one I moved to a highland greenhouse where it thrived...the coooler night temps are a must. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thought I'd add an update since it's been awhile.

The sundew perished for some reason. I never have luck with tropical sundews for some reason. :mad:

However the Reducta seems to be doing well. At least the leaves aren't showing signs of yellowing or browning. And there are three deceased hydei which apparently meant their demise. :p That has been very neat to watch! A carnivorous brom, how cool is that!?

Jessica

PS I'll get a new photo up, soon as the frogs stop hogging the front glass. :p

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts