Dendroboard banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Please don't stick your frogs in the x-ray. The x-ray is very gnarly and wouldn't send any animals through it.
While I read that members have put their frogs through the x-ray without problems, I would like to note that germ cells and (the cells that become eggs/sperm) are particularly sensitive to ionizing radiation, and it could potentially damage them or cause sterilization.

While I have no idea of the radiation level of the machines, here is a paper on the subject on how x-ray radiation can cause sterilization in rats:
X-RAY STERILIZATION OF IMMATURE FEMALE RATS

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
Hopefully it doesn't end like snakes on a plane. :)
Already happened

If I remember correctly, one of the Dendrobatid researchers while bringing some animals back from Central America, was checking them in the restroom only to have a couple escape resulting in him having to recapture them....

Some comments

Ed

·
Super Moderator
2,752 Posts
People has been upfront with TSA in the past so frogs don't go through the X-ray. If I remember correctly, the person told the TSA agent "They told me to show you these live harmless tropical frogs so they don't go through the xray." The italic are the key words in the sentence. "They" could be anyone, from airline agents to TSA supervisors. Leave at that.

Here is the thread: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/36832-carry-frog-luggage.html
I just wanted to update this thread with my first hand experience. Here is how it went:

I had frogs in ziplock food storage containers inside one of my two carry on bags. I put everything on the Xray belt, then asked the TSA agent that I wanted one of my bags hand-inspected. She replied:
- "The entire bag or just one item?"
- "Just a couple of items."
- "What are they?"
- "Harmless tropical frogs that I don't want to send through the Xray machine."
- "Oh yeah... you don't want to do that. It would kill them. Let me have them."

Lady behind me in line tries to peek over my shoulders to see them as I take the containers out of my bag. She asks:
- "What are they?"

Me:
- "Frogs.:)mad:)", while handling the containers to the TSA agent.

TSA:
- "Oh, I see them! So tiny and cute!!! Let me get someone to check them for you."

Agent calls someone while walking along with me until the remainder of my belongings go through the Xray machine. She hands over the frogs to another TSA agent. I go through the body scanner.

New TSA agent:
- "Please follow me. I will check these containers with you.", as he leads me to a "sniff machine" just beyond the xray line.

The agent wipes my hands and the containers for any traces of explosives, then focus once again on the frogs.

Me:
- "Do you need to open the containers? If you do, please be very careful as the frogs may jump out."
- "I just need to peek inside."

The agent carefully removes the tapes securing the lids shut, peeks inside, then closes them back. In the meantime, more TSA agents (about 5) are gathering to see the frogs.

Random TSA agents:
- "What is it?"
- "How many are there?"
- "I can't see any."
- "Here it is, look how pretty!"
- "What is it?"
- "Tropical frogs... I LOVE frogs!"
- yada, yada.

By this time, my other bags are already out of the Xray so the agent tells me I can go retrieve them. I put my shoes back on, get my bags, and go back for the frogs.

TSA:
- "All clear. Here are your frogs. Have a nice trip."
- "Thank you.", as I put the frogs back in my bag.

Once inside the plane, I put the bag under the seat and 6 hours later they were home safe and sound.

Moral of the story: Security check took only a couple of minutes longer than usual, the frogs did not have to go through harmful Xray machines, TSA agents were very nice and mesmerized about the frogs (probably the highlight of their day :D), and the airline never knew I was carrying live frogs in their plane.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thanks, for the follow up and details.

I hope others will share in similar detail in the future.

I bet you were wincing the whole time at the thought of somebody saying "Aren't those poisonous?", during the inspection.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sitting in long beach airport waiting for our plane.
We flew out of Salt Lake City friday for scads. Both ways were very smooth.

They don't care about frogs, they will not take down a plane...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sitting in long beach airport waiting for our plane.
We flew out of Salt Lake City friday for scads. Both ways were very smooth.

They don't care about frogs, they will not take down a plane...
Says you. I have a real shifty eyed Leucomelas. I wouldn't trust him one bit. Take your eye off of him and he's in the cockpit next thing you know, Samuel L. Jackson .... No Bueno. :D

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
No, as long as you are purchasing legally aquired frogs... It is only illegal to transport them if
1) you are failing to correctly mark the box etc
2) you are purchasing frogs that were smuggled or otherwise illegal (like castenoticus)
3) are meeting the requirments of California to transport wildlife into or out of the state (if there are any)

Some comments

Ed
I know this is an old thread, but does anybody happen to know what the requirements are to transport wildlife out of California?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just flew out of LAX a few weeks ago with a trio of CB pumilio in 32 oz deli cup. Smooth sailing - very similar experience to JPccusa, I asked for a hand check and TSA were very excited by my little guys and they all wanted to catch a peak. No issues whatsoever and I plan on transporting frogs again this way again very soon.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I just flew out of LAX a few weeks ago with a trio of CB pumilio in 32 oz deli cup. Smooth sailing - very similar experience to JPccusa, I asked for a hand check and TSA were very excited by my little guys and they all wanted to catch a peak. No issues whatsoever and I plan on transporting frogs again this way again very soon.

Good to know, I've had many similar experiences with my dog

Then there are the miserable people who want to make everyone else miserable. I've been nervous about picking up frogs while I'm home in RI, since a bunch of you are in that area of the country. Hopefully it goes just as well, seems like with pets one always gets hand swabbed but never gets microwave body photography done so I'm happy there.

-Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just to quickly share another positive experience, I flew out of Seattle and they just carried my frog around the X-ray machine and handed it back to me without even checking it. I'm currently sitting at LAX and they simply swabbed the outside of the deli cup and handed the frogs back with no grief whatsoever. 3/3 on great airport experiences with TSA @ SeaTac and LAX terminals 3 & 6. Saving a lot of money on shipping makes me happy and my frogs get to travel in style in a cool insulated lunchbox!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts