Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever carried frogs on a plane with them? I'm making a short trip from SD to Chicago and am trying to take a few froglets with to sell when I'm home. How do I go about doing this?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've done it a few times. I would put frogs in a soft sided cooler then stick them in my backpack and carry them on. Sent them through the X-ray machine with no problems. If you get asked just tell them they are tropical frogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is very interesting, thanks for sharing. TSA never question you and give you trouble?

I've done it a few times. I would put frogs in a soft sided cooler then stick them in my backpack and carry them on. Sent them through the X-ray machine with no problems. If you get asked just tell them they are tropical frogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I've never had an issue. Last time (en route home from Frogday) tsa was WAY more interested in the cacao pods I had in my bag. Had to send them through a few times. Didn't even look at the frogs.

·
Super Moderator
2,752 Posts
People has been upfront with TSA in the past so frogs don't go through the X-ray. If I remember correctly, the person told the TSA agent "They told me to show you these live harmless tropical frogs so they don't go through the xray." The italic are the key words in the sentence. "They" could be anyone, from airline agents to TSA supervisors. Leave at that.

Here is the thread: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/36832-carry-frog-luggage.html

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remove the fingers from a latex glove, put a frog in and swallow it. This way no one asks questions and you can poop them out when you get to your destination. Thumbs are harder to get down than tinc’s. :D

Brian
That was my original plan. Ill just stick with that. Hahaha I read into that link you posted but its kind of outdated. Anyone have any recent experience?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The TSA works for the government, not the airline. Tell TSA that you want a hand inspection and then tell them that there are live tree frogs in the box. I wouldent get them xrayed. Then DONT tell anyone on the plane. Ive found that the airline employees can have a very different attitude

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Flying is so awful anymore I avoid it all costs.

I remember when I was a kid it was a big fun event to board a plane. People used to dress up with a suit and tie just because they were flying.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The TSA works for the government, not the airline. Tell TSA that you want a hand inspection and then tell them that there are live tree frogs in the box. I wouldent get them xrayed. Then DONT tell anyone on the plane. Ive found that the airline employees can have a very different attitude
See part of me wants to tell them, part just wants to say screw it and not tell them. I wouldn't have a way of getting the frogs back anywhere else if they tell me I can't bring them.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've heard of many people just tossing them through the X-ray. How would that effect the frogs if at all?

·
Super Moderator
2,752 Posts
Any difference between which airline you choose?
No, since you are not showing the frogs at the airline counter. You would be showing the frogs to the TSA agents.

I've heard of many people just tossing them through the X-ray. How would that effect the frogs if at all?
The link I posted above talks about no visible negative effects with the frogs.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I will be traveling to NJ/NYC for the holidays and plan on taking a few frogs with me. I will be informing TSA and requesting a hand inspection. My concern is not with the frogs, but with the Phase 22 panel set to liquid I was planning on having in the cooler with them. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Is it even necessary? Will the 22 panel cause more trouble for me than anything? I will only be outside in the cold for a very short time, but can only imagine NYC mid-Dec will be freezing!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think the phase panels will be pushing it! The contents will probably violate the ounces of product you’re able to carry on; they also look suspicious. As long as ambient temps don't get out of hand you should be okay.
Brian

·
Registered
623 Posts
I will be traveling to NJ/NYC for the holidays and plan on taking a few frogs with me. I will be informing TSA and requesting a hand inspection. My concern is not with the frogs, but with the Phase 22 panel set to liquid I was planning on having in the cooler with them. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Is it even necessary? Will the 22 panel cause more trouble for me than anything? I will only be outside in the cold for a very short time, but can only imagine NYC mid-Dec will be freezing!
You could bring a small cooler (insulated lunchbag) and a few empty bottles. Before you leave the airport you could fill the bottles with room temperature water from a bathroom and place the bottles in with the frogs. Since water maintains its temperature better than air this should insulate your frogs. I imagine you won't be outside with them long enough for it to become a concern then. This way you don't have to deal with the worries a phase 22 would cause or your frogs getting too cold.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
You could bring a small cooler (insulated lunchbag) and a few empty bottles. Before you leave the airport you could fill the bottles with room temperature water from a bathroom and place the bottles in with the frogs. Since water maintains its temperature better than air this should insulate your frogs. I imagine you won't be outside with them long enough for it to become a concern then. This way you don't have to deal with the worries a phase 22 would cause or your frogs getting too cold.
I use this trick with plastic Coke bottles for shipping with a styro in cold weather and it seems to work well.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I've been talking with a TSA rep at my work about this issue. Does anybody know how many oz of liquid is in the phase panels/packs and if any of it is considered hazardous? Basically it has to fall under the 3-1-4 LGA policy (Liquids, Gels & Aerosols). I'll copy/paste it below:

Frozen liquid items are allowed through the checkpoint as long as they are frozen solid when presented for screening. If frozen liquid items are partially melted, slushy, or have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they must meet 3-1-1 liquids requirements.
If the frozen item is packed with ice or ice packs in a cooler or other container, the ice or ice packs must be completely frozen when brought through screening. If the ice or ice packs are partially melted and have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they will not be permitted.

Medically necessary liquids may be accompanied by ice packs, but we ask that you declare these items to a security officer for inspection.

You can pack frozen perishables in your carry-on or checked baggage in dry ice. The FAA limits you to five pounds of dry ice that is properly packaged (the package is vented).

The 3-1-1 rule for liquids, aerosols and gels in carry-ons is as follows: containers must be 3.4 ounces or less; stored in a 1 quart/liter zip-top bag; 1 zip-top bag per person. Larger amounts of non-medicinal liquids, gels, and aerosols must be placed in checked baggage.

If the liquid is considered a hazardous material that is permitted onboard an aircraft, it is still subject to the 3-1-1 limitations. Many questions arise on whether an item is hazardous material and what requirements must be met to take it on an aircraft. The Pipeline Hazardous Material Safety Administration (PHMSA) at 1-800-467-4922 or the aircraft operator on which you are flying can assist you with your questions concerning hazardous material.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.
And this is the current TSA regs on traveling with pets:

Our security procedures do not prohibit you from bringing a pet on your flight. You should contact your airline or travel agent, however, before arriving at the airport to determine your airline's policy on traveling with pets.
Pets and animals can be transported in carry-on or checked baggage to the extent permitted by the airline operator. All pets and animals are subject to non-x-ray screening.
At the screening checkpoint, take your pet out of the carrier, if possible, and send the carrier through the x-ray. You can then either walk or carry your pet through the metal detector. If you are not able to take the pet or animal out of the carrier, notify the Transportation Security Officer (TSO) of your need for special assistance at the beginning of the checkpoint screening process. At all times, you are responsible for maintaining control of your pet and assisting the TSO in the screening process. Never put a pet into the x-ray!

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.
You should also check with an airline rep first to see if they have any sort of prohibitive policy as well. Still trying to get in touch with another rep to check on a few other things...kinda hard to get a direct answer from them...even talking to them face to face :p

1 - 20 of 57 Posts