Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I bought a proven trio of leucomelas a couple of weeks ago and they have been settling in nicely. Today I saw the female going back and forth between the two males and rubbing their backs. I left them alone for a while and went to check on them later with the camcorder. One of the males was up on the piece of wood in the tank by itself and the female and other male were under the piece of wood. After a few minutes the male started heading for the cocohut with the petri dish under it with the female behind him rubbing his back all the way. I thought I recorded it but I must have pushed the photo button instead of the video button.:mad: Anyway, I am wondering if it is a pretty good bet that they are going to lay eggs in there and how long it normally takes them? Also, is there a good guide to breeding them and raising the tadpoles somewhere? There is a lot of breeding info on this site but I can't find a real all in one thread or guide anywhere. I think I basically know what to do but just want to make sure.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Sounds promising! :D

Once they start the courting, it can be all day before they actually lay the eggs. Sometimes they will court all day without laying eggs. Just keep an eye on things. When my frogs are courting, I check the dish at night, after the frogs have gone to bed.

What I'd do is collect the eggs from under the coco hut, spray some water in it (distilled, spring, treated tap, etc), and put the top on the dish. You should be able to watch them developing by peeking in the dish. I recommend doing this as it is very cool. :p

Once the eggs have developed to the point that the tad's tails are straightening out, they will start breaking out of their gel sacks. This is when they go into their tad containers. Any small container will do. Put in your water, about an inch (varies by preference but lower when they are new and more water later after they've grown a bit). Put in the tads. Let them settle for a couple of days before offering them a little food.

I believe I've heard that Leuc tads are cannabalistic, so, I'd put them in separate tad containers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great! They are still in there so everything is good. I bought these frogs with the terrarium and it already had the petri dish in there. It looks like I need to get some more to replace this one while it is out. What size do most people use? I don't really want to try and measure this one right now. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a video I made a little while ago of them courting. It is still processing so it might be a few minutes before it's live.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks! I just peeked in there and I saw some eggs in the petri dish! BTW, does the sound cut in and out for everyone or is it just me? Not sure why it is doing that. I can hear my reef tank in the back ground sometimes and sometimes it is silent. BTW, the reef tank isn't that loud in person. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am wondering if any of the eggs are good. I know two of them are bad, they are blown up and white. The others are not showing any development. I thought there should be some by now. If they are bad then oh well, they'll breed again. How long between clutches is there usually?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts