Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am planning on buying two azureus and wanted to get a male and a female and i had a few questions.

1. What is the difference in price usually for a sexed pair as apposed to a regual pair.

2. How hard is it to sex frogs and are there any helpful links that could help me figure it out.

3. If any, are there any recommended species that go well together if i could get two of the same sex?

Thanks, Ill post more later.

·
Registered
329 Posts
A sexed pair will run you $250+ if they are mature adults.
I know that Saurian.net sells azureus sexed pairs for $250 and there are people on the Classifieds forum that have them from time to time. If you wanted to go cheaper I would buy three froglets and take your chances in getting a pair. It is a little time consuming but you will always be able to trade adult frogs later if you do not get a pair.

As far as sexing goes.... for Tinks and Azureus the males usually have wider front toe pads. I have been told that this does not work all of the time but, the two male azureus that I have really have wider toe pads than the females. The males also have a little bit of a different shape to their body. Nothing too different though.... Hard to explain :?
Take a look at http://www.Saurian.net they have great information on sexing and breeding Azureus.

As for keeping different species together... I asume that you are talking about keeping htem in the same tank? If so, the experts say that you should not. I am no expert by any means and I do not keep different species together nor do I really want to. Just my feeling :)

Hope that helps you out even a little bit. But, go up to the links page in the upper right hand corner of this page and you will find a lot of really good links that the people here have put together. I have found that there is a lot of great information to read there.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Welcome to the board!

Forgive me if this is an incorrect assumption, but it sounds like you might be new to darts. I'm not sure if you've seen it yet, but there are a couple of posts marked as "sticky" at the top of this forum that you might find very helpful.

As for keeping to species of the same sex together - mixing species is generally not recomended unless you have quite a bit of experience.

Fleenor sums it up pretty well. If these are going to be your first frogs, I would suggest some auratus or leucomelas.... They are both very easy species to find and they all do good in groups. Like Fleenor said, if you get a group your chances are pretty good of getting at least one pair. After you have paired them off you can sell off the extras or trade them for other frogs, or you can just keep them all together - the leucomelas will even breed in groups.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fleenor1 said:
A sexed pair will run you $250+ if they are mature adults.
I know that Saurian.net sells azureus sexed pairs for $250 and there are people on the Classifieds forum that have them from time to time. If you wanted to go cheaper I would buy three froglets and take your chances in getting a pair.
Patrick at Saurian is a great guy and will answer any questions that you have. I have to dissagree about it being cheaper to buy 3 froglets and hoping though.. unless you are buying them locally, they run about $65 a frog and then you have to pay for shipping. Might as well spend the 20 bucks or so and get a sexed pair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts