Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just acquired 5 vents and observing what appears to be courting behavior in at least 2 of them (I suppose I'll find out for certain someday :lol: ), I'm wondering what board members' experiences have been in letting nature take its course and allow the tadpoles to be raised in the viv by their parents. My understanding is that vents are non-obligate egg feeders and we have quite a few broms in the viv so there are numerous small water pools to use for tadpoles.

Any thoughts about choice of egg laying sites? It would appear that black film cannisters are the item of choice but has anyone had their vents use more natural components in the viv?

My apologies if my questions seem rather fundamental. I'm interested in getting feedback from experienced breeders. I'm intrigued at the possibility of allowing the frogs to raise their young and accept that fewer offspring are likely to survive but suspect that any that do survive will be very healthy.

TIA

Elmo

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
My vents lay exclusively in black film canisters, they completely ignore the white ones, I have never seen them in the white ones. I recently split up my two pairs, but before I did the females would eat most of the eggs of the other female, so in a 10 egg clutch I would end up with 2-3 eggs.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
did you have yoru canisters filled up with water? empty? partially? I too have a group of vents that should be breeding soon. I think I heard a male call the other day.

Ed Parker

·
Registered
621 Posts
Get some of the film canister with suction cups. Cheap and easy, vents lay in them always. I keep em half full with water

·
Registered
297 Posts
I used to house vents in a ten gallon with bromeliads, and they would lay thier eggs at the edge of the water and sometimes under the water in the axils. I started to put in film canisters (opaque ones from Fuji film), filled with water and angled at 45 degrees. They started laying in these.

I moved the colony over to another ten gallon, that had no bromeliads, just plants and cork pieces. I placed several opaque film canisters in with them - 45 degree angle, filled with water at various heights (floor to top of tank) - and they would lay in all of them. I sold this group last year and kept some tadpoles.

These tadpoles have since metamorphed and are now breeding in a ten gallon. This is a different ten gallon. Some ground cover plants, no cork, but a lot of film canisters (opaque and black) as well as some clear glass vessels. So far they have laid eggs in the opaque and black film canisters, and have just started to hang out in the clear glass.

So, there appears to be no preference for opaque versus black film canisters. I have a 50:50 mix of these in the tank.

I collect all the eggs so far.

I am thinking of setting up a larger tank with lots of bromeliads and letting them raise eggs on their own.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I keep my film canisters filled with water, they have yet to lay in a film canister without if being at least half filled. I have them in a 10 gallon with lots of pothos and no bromeliads, so I can collect eggs, then when I have a large enough group I will se them up in a large tank as Yuri plans to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts