Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is about pairing. I know that a lot of people buy more than two froglets at a time in an attempt to get a pair. But doesn't this mean that the pair will be inbreeding? Does this matter, or is inbreeding accepted?

G

·
I would agree. I'd say get 2 or three from one breeder and 2-3 from another breeder and see if you end up with a pair.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
If you can, get unrelated froglets. But sometimes that isnt easy with the rarer frogs, were most of them originally came from one breeder.

G

·
some breeders will not sell you frogs from the same parents. It all depends on who you buy them from. My pumilios from Patrick were from different parents. Most people will agree that is ok to interbreed them up to say f6 or more. You can always get 2 frogs and trade them with others to pair them up if you have the same sex.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
It seems like people have a hard time getting female imitators. I ended up getting 4 (unsexed) and only got one female. With my mantellas, I haven't really got the microscope after them, but they appear to have a similar ratio.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The sex ratio depends on the type of frog, I was lucky and got 2 female imitators, from 2 froglets, and my friend got a 6.6 group of blue auratus when they were still waiting list frogs, but patrick got a 9.1 group of amazonicus. If you want to be sure you get a pair buy as many as possible. I buy at least 4 of each type of frog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts