Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
joshua_delancey69 said:
when i get some extras for myself i will have them for sale after i get them going good. I will mostly want to trade but for others that dont have alot to trade they will be probally close to half what others sale for so everyone can afford them.
It's so exciting when your frogs start breeding and you can trade them for others. But my opinion (and it's just that, my opinion) I wouldn't sell my frogs for half of what they were going for on the market just because I don't want to devalue them (to me they are priceless) and I don't want someone seeing what a great deal they are getting and then buying them on a whim and failing to properly care for them. Kinda like a kid (no offense to some of the more experienced ones in here)buying one of my darts and treating it like like a 5 dollar tree frog and who cares if it starves or dies and won't take it to a vet.... That's just my take on it....and my opinion. That's why I am glad the thumbs are so expensive, they need someone to really care for them and not buy them on a whim, which unfortunantly someone who is hemmoraging cash still does on occassions.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand that but I also understand that people do not have abundances of cash this does not mean they are inexperenced with frogs there are plenty of people that just do not have the money to get the expensive frogs. I AGREE that people should make sure the owner will give proper care expecially to thumbs. But this frog is a TINC and very easyly cared for. I know some people make a living off of the sale of PDF's. More power to them but I believe the more people that can work with a frog the more you preserve the species.

Second point just because the price of a frog is high that does not mean that only experenced people are purchasing them. I am a college student and have over 50 frogs as well and i have some thumbs that are rare and I would like to have more thumbs but because i am a college student as well as my wife I cannot afford high priced frogs.

I am not trying to argue and this is only my opinion. I am not tring to offend anyone so please keep it friendly.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Josh just to let you know one of the reasons the price is so high on reginas is they lay small clutches, usually about 2.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Pretty good size clutches. Do you think the brunos will raise all thoose eggs? If so 9 pumilio forglets is pretty good production in a few months from one pair.

G

·
I'm all for keeping this friendly :D That's why I always say my opinions are my own and I respect the opinions of others.

I guess my biggest pet peeve is walking through the pet store and seeing a "cheap" lizard or corn snake or other animal and a kid who's pestering mom to buy this for him (or her). Now we all know this is an impulse buy for the most part, chances are kid knows next to nothing about how to properly care for this animal. You KNOW the parent doesn't but kid begs and pleads, promises to take really good care of it, feed it, clean it's cage (all along thinking how cool it's going to make him look to his friends) and finally mom thinking it's time that Timmy learn some responsibility and it's after all a cheap animal (therefore disposable), goes ahead and buys it for him. Now pet store clerk who's usually the teen age kid just working for a buck but generally loves animals (although doesn't know everything about all of them) gives mom the run down along with the bare minimun of what this animal needs. A lot of this info is usually wrong but most people don't do the research till it's too late.

Couple months later, kid is bored or moved on to bigger better things that don't require so much time and upkeep, animal is severely neglected, mom didn't sign up for this job of taking care of Timmy's personal zoo. Animal either ends up dead or in a rescue. Hopefully with luck, the latter. It's sad and it happens....A LOT. Look at how cheap they sell green anoles, iguanas, green tree frogs. If you know anything about the upkeep of them (I do as I keep two of those) you know that it's a lot of work and not something for a passing fancy. I've talked MANY a parent out of buying pets for their children, right in front of employees of PetsMart and other pet stores (no they didn't like me at the moment either) but I got my point across, screaming kids didn't even get a fish.

How does this relate to selling one of your dart frogs for cheaper then they already are on the market? If you start doing it then someone else may to, just to compete. If several people selling start to do it to keep up, then it forces the prices down on these animals in general. Look at the cost of an albino python, boa or corn snake 10 years ago compared to today. Big difference. I have already had offers from a co-worker who wants to buy a couple of my cobalt tincs when they morph out for her 12 yr old son (the same kid who killed a hermit crab from neglect). I flat refused even though she would have paid me full price for them. Sorry, I'm all for the money but their lives are worth more to me and I would rather keep all 17 tadpoles I have in the water right now after they turn into frogs before I would turn them over to 1 or 17 people I believe would not put in the same time and effort I do into keeping them healthy, fed and hopefully happy. So I would at least hope that if you are going to sell them at a reduced rate, because that is your choice and your right, please give them good homes.

If you don't have any Surinam Cobalt tincs I would love to trade you some for your babies, I am working on expanding my collection as well. :D I agree, they are expensive. I'll tell you what though, it makes it that much more special when I can afford one, when they breed for me and have tadpoles, when I look at them and all their colors, patterns, behaviors and interactions. They very much deserve every penny they fetch and more. They deserve special homes.:D

Just my opinion 8)

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think it's perfectly OK to sell things at full price. The price of certain frogs WILL go down, frogs like Regina and Giant Orange Tincs. It's just a matter of more people getting and breeding them. It's the frogs like pumilio and other sole egg feeders that will maintain a high price because we have no control whatsoever of how many/how well their froglets turn out. In a way, the higher price is good. It is a deturrent for people who are newer to the hobby and don't want to spend a lot and if they spend more on a pet, they're more likely to take care of it.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I personally think why should somebody sell something for half the market price when the market will support the full price? You take the time and effort to raise and feed them, so it is up to you to charge what you want but personally I wouldnt sell them for less than a hundred, so that I wouldnt undercut the market. Even though selling them for a lower price wont make reginas into the "disposable frogs" that auratus are, it may eventually, because the more people who can afford them the more people will buy and breed them and supply and demand will make the prices drop, and it would be a shame to see such a beautifal frog like a regina be labled as a "disposable frog". Also think about it when the price of crickets or fly medium increases, your production costs increase and you have to make a price increase just to make a little profit to make it worth your time, your customers will be pretty upset. Just look what happened when Carolina increased its fly media price.
Disclaimer: I do not think any frogs are disposable, I like them all, but others I know think green auratus are, it would be sad to see dartfrogs turn into the new leopard geckos were you can buy them for a dime a dozen at any reptile show.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
A quick note on green anoles...

I have noticed a lessening of the population around here in the orlando are in several locations. People pay more for greens so they get kids to collect them for the pet trade. I dont like this at all because green anoles are already highly threatened by the invasive brown anole, knight anole, and other various reptiles including ball pythons, iguanas(heard a report of iguanas in southern part of the state eating anoles not sure if true though.) And not only do they have to worry about being the food, but also having food since these species have the same diet as they do when younger such as the Vield Chameleon which is reported established in small localized areas. So many invasives, i guess one day they will naturalize and balence themselves as nature can do, BUT not while people are removing the native species at the same time. It can cause serious problems.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
all points are great and I understand that is why i said that i would trade for stuff i dont have right now for the most part. The rare cases that i would sell a frog is people that i know or have done business with and know how they are. Im not in this for MONEY i am in it for the love of hobby.

On the business aspect I am a Business major that will graduate in the summer if i dont not get deployed with the military again this year. I just got back off of an 18 month deploymet to Ft. Campbell. My point is if you have a product to sell then you sell it to make a profit. What I look at when selling the frogs is what i have in the frogs.. I looked for Regina for a year and got lucky when I got mine.

I understand the concept of care thats why I would like to trade for things i dont have. I also understand people not wanting to sell frogs for less that market value. But that is business.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts