Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo i am Luigi and i am new of this forum. One year ago i took a couple of these special and wonderful toads in a show here in Italy, it's called Reptiles day in Longarone. After some months the couple was enlarged and now i have 7 toads, only one surely male and other big females full of eggs. This Jenuary i tried to breed them without success but i try again in April. I fed them with several quantities of fruit flies and also some supplements as Calcium plus vitamin D3. I put them in the refrigerator for 5 days at 7 degrees (celsius). Next to weeks to increase the temperatures reach about 20 degrees. The important point is about rain chamber. Toads have to be subjected to a strong rain for about 5 hours, i prefer to start one hour before the sunrise. If the male is receptive he will embrace the female. This hug could also extend for days, my advice is to repeat again the rain every 12 hours so the male won't leave female. You should spray with an atomizer on the couple in amplexus, they will seem annoyed but i think is good to do this practice. After some days the male should bring the female in the water and they should copulate with the subsequent release of eggs.

Here some pictures of these months trying to breed them!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Great write-up Luigi. I have 6 of these little guys and 2 of them are fattie females. I would love to breed them, but it sounds like alot of work. How are your tadpoles doing? Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's medium difficult to breed this toads, the important things are basicly 3: Feed them so much, give them a cold period and put them in a rain chamber. The tadpoles are growing up thanks to the algae that have grown on the Java moss, i give them also some tablets of spirulin, i don't know how you call it in english, that's the best way to feed little tadpoles. I made also a Dendrobates tadpole food with animal product as the dust given to the babies of the fishes, spirulin that is an alga and supplements as Korvimin and calcium plus d3.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I know a few people here have bred them as well and some good write-ups. Please stay in touch as I would like to know how your tadpoles/froglets survive. Updates with pictures are also very helpful. Thank you!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll take some pictures during the rising of tadpole, i hope everybody will leave the water successfully. I need many springtails, i ordered some boxes from Germany, but i also have some little species of Drosophila, are them good to feed froglets!?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Drosophila are typically too large for these tiny todlets when first emerging. You should get lots of Springtails and maybe stunt some Drosophila cultures for when they are a little older.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many tadpole do usually go out from the water on about 200 units !? After 10 days my tadpoles appear thinner, they've grown up for about 10 days now, in the first they were always fat even if i have never seen them eating, but now i am a bit worried for they health. I give them basicly (80% of time) Spirulin algae, sometimes fish food and i also give them mosquitos larvae but i think they don't eat it as dendrobates' tadpoles do. I found about 20 littlest tadpoles dead but till now no mass deaths.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some new pictures about the breeding of these toads. The toadlets are very little and i have to offer them only springtails but young ones because adults are too big for toads' little mouth. Tadpoles have grown for about 30 days and now some of them have the legs. I hope i can feed the toadlets but i am worried because i don't see them eating, for the moment the situation is quite good but i must wait to see good results.

One euro cent with toadlet

·
Registered
658 Posts
Great to see and hear about your toads. What is the success rate (how many toadlets do you have?) with your breeding? How many tadpoles are you working with? Thanks for sharing your information with us. I want to breed mine, but need alittle more information from people like you :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At the moment i have just 8 toadlets but about 70 tadpoles are growing their back limbs so i hope they'll catch the metamorphosis soon. next week i'll update. I am happy to share my experience so everybody can breed these difficult guys ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After about two months all the tadpoles got the metamorphosis but the result has been not so much good. On about 250 tadpoles only 20 toadlets are now alive and in health. They are becoming yellow spotted as adults, they are still having "lunch" with springtails dusted on the substrate composed by leaves and peat. They also have a little pool of water with a java moss but noone is using it. I hope to breed them again to have better results, the problem was the food given to the tadpoles, i think the water hasn't to be too much clean, next time i put inside also some dry leaves to have a kind of leaf tea. Also some different natural algae grown on the acquatic plants should be good. Here some picture of my new toadlets of Melanophryniscus stelzneri. The cent you see in it is an eurocent so sorry but you should imagine the dimension or compare if you have one of this coin in your house :p

·
Registered
658 Posts
What a bummer only 20 survived out of 250!! I sure hope you will do another experiment using almond tea leaves or even oak leaves if that is causing the problem. Someone else will chime in....appreciate your experiment!!!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Gigiols, I would suggest trying to get ahold of a smaller variety of springtail... there are several kinds that should be small enough to feed both the young & adults to the toadlets. See if you can find the "blue" springtails, not sure if they are available in Europe but they are very, very small.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts