Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a crummy pic of my mantella laevigata's in amplexus. ONe male is trying to wrestle the other off of the females back. They have been courting like this for the last 2 hours. I am very hopeful. Sorry for the picture quality, but I didn't want to disturb them by putting bright light on them, since this film canister is in a shaded area. Enjoy,

I have never seen any of my frogs in amplexus before, isn't it exciting?

Ed Parker

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I didn't think mantellas went into amplexus? Thought the females jsut laid eggs and the males stayed around to fertilize them. I was reading a book Mantellas by Marc S., and that's what I gathered?

Very cool laevigata picture. I have a lone laevigata, and it's a very cool animal.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IT isn't REALLY amplexus that they do, but they still climb on the females back, and perform a similar courtship ritual. Especially with the laevigata's, this is common. Marc's book mentions this I believe. I would have to go look it up though. I am still very hopeful. The other male finally gave up then left these 2 alone. They are so neat how they interact with each other.

Ed Parker

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOOHOO!!!! I just checked the first film canister that I found them in and there is an egg!!! Now, they are all going for another canister. I can't believe it, I just barely moved them into this vivarium on last sunday. How crazy is that!!!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Very cool. Especially since most lay in bamboo and yours did in a film canister in some cork. Very clever idea. Will you be removing the eggs after a day or two? I heard theat they lay a few eggs, because the firs tone eats the others? A type of egg feeder, or atleast similar.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to see if it hatches first, and if the female will return to the site to feed it infertile eggs. Marc S mentions that if you remove the tadpoles to raise them yourself, it takes about twice as long for them to morph and they are about half the size. So, if she will feed it then she can take care of it. If not, I will. I am very hopeful for future eggs now though. And she only laid one egg in the canister, which is consistent with the information on bamboofrog.org. I am just so happy.

Ed Parker

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
In that case, I'd hope that the female would take care of it. The site you mentioned, bamboofrog.org is very good. I read it when I first got my single laevigata, but never got around to getting anymore. They are very cool frogs and I like the fact that they climb more than others. Hope the egg is fertile, and the tad hatches well. Be sure and get some pictures when things settle down. Good luck

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When things settle down??? You mean, if things settle down?? They are still fighting over the other film canister. IF theywould just look around, they would find plenty of canisters. I will definitely post if the egg is fertile, and if the female takes care of it. Still crossing my fingers though. I shouldhave more in the other canister by now, I just don't want to disturb them. Anyway, hope for the best !!!!! :)

Ed Parker

·
Registered
467 Posts
Good Luck! Dr. Heying's site is very informative, indeed! Not sure if she put her disscertation online or not, but I have it in *.pdf if anybody is interested...
~Ben

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am interested!!! I would love to see it.

Thanks ben,

Ed Parker

·
Registered
136 Posts
wowowowowow

I want it please.....

For the mantella prince..... your are some lucky ^@#$%^&*(&^%$#.....

I wish you a lot of little mantella....

Christian

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just found another egg in the same film canister!!!!! I haven't had a chance to check the one in the log yet, because they won't leave it alone. I bet their is a bunch of eggs in it, seeing how 2 males and 1 female have been in it everytime I check for the last 5 hours!!!! HOORAY, it is so exciting

Ed Parker

1 - 20 of 40 Posts