Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have heard much speculation and assertion about breeding leucs. Some people seem to be able to get eggs from them every other week while others seem to be lucky to get them breed seasonally. I fall in the latter category, as I can get them to lay when a huge front comes through, but they are reluctant to lay otherwise.

Does anyone have any pointers? I have my leucs set up in a tank with a coco hut and petri dish, and there is a waterfall and small water feature in the tank, and I can occasionally convince them to lay if I spray heavily and add water to the water feature. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have had luck separating them for about 2 weeks, feeding less and hardly misting. Then I put the pair together mist and feed heavily and I get breeding for awhile then they stop. Mine just stop breeding after being together for a little while.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Where do they live? if one lives in Boston and the other lives in San Diego, I'd think there's a temp preference involved...

SB

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I am in central florida and homer is in indiana, under the name most people have their location. Mine stop breeding if the temps get over 80.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
steelcube said:
Where do they live? if one lives in Boston and the other lives in San Diego, I'd think there's a temp preference involved...

SB
Well, if the male lives in Boston and the female in San Diego, I don't think there will be many eggs coming from that pair. :lol: I was wondering of temps may be a factor with leucs, but location of the hobbyist may not factor into that since our homes today hardly reflect the outside temps. I am going to start playing around with these guys to see what might be a driving factor to get egg production. My males call like crazy, so I don't think it's a lack of effort on their part. :wink:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Very funny! :lol: :lol:

Some people seem to be able to get eggs from them every other week while others seem to be lucky to get them breed seasonally.
I was refering to this... I know.. I know.. I should've wrote it in plural.

But you might be right about the house temp... although my house is freezing in the morning and I doubt people in FL are having this problem.

I didn't really read the rest of your post but now that I have... I am speculating that normally they are breeding in season... I'd be interested to find out if Venezuela has 2 seasons: dry and rainy....

You mentioned about huge fronts.. which mean that the barometric pressure is changing... which is similar with what happen during the rainy season...

Similarly, misting heavily/adding new water might trigger their brain to think that it is a rainy season... time to get busy...

Do you know if the other people whose leuc breed all the time, have auto misting system? or routinely mist their tanks? You probably could coax them to think it's rainy season all year long. Well, given that they have good food, etc...

SB

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
steelcube said:
Very funny! :lol: :lol:

Some people seem to be able to get eggs from them every other week while others seem to be lucky to get them breed seasonally.
I was refering to this... I know.. I know.. I should've wrote it in plural.

But you might be right about the house temp... although my house is freezing in the morning and I doubt people in FL are having this problem.

I didn't really read the rest of your post but now that I have... I am speculating that normally they are breeding in season... I'd be interested to find out if Venezuela has 2 seasons: dry and rainy....

You mentioned about huge fronts.. which mean that the barometric pressure is changing... which is similar with what happen during the rainy season...

Similarly, misting heavily/adding new water might trigger their brain to think that it is a rainy season... time to get busy...

Do you know if the other people whose leuc breed all the time, have auto misting system? or routinely mist their tanks? You probably could coax them to think it's rainy season all year long. Well, given that they have good food, etc...

SB
Sorry, Steve, I just couldn't help myself with the earlier comment! :lol: I'm glad you have such a good sense of humor.

I have a hunch that stimulating a constant wet season may trigger breeding, or a dry period followed by a wet season may trigger breeding, with barometric changes further enhancing that trigger (some of my past experiences indicate this may be the case). I was just wondering what the experiences of others were in regards to this. I may also try to break up my group to see how they react. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I AM HAVING THAT PROBLEM! My dad is crazy with AC and i hate the cold, so it gets down to 70 in my house, it drives me crazy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts