Dendroboard banner

Breeding inquiry - Tadpole care

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  benmz 
G
#1 ·
I am planning to set up 4 identical ten gallon tanks for display purposes and also hopefully set up to breed the frogs if the mood so strikes them. The tanks will have a water area of about 24 square inches (4 inches by 6 or so) with a protected filter and pump with a heater that keeps the water at 76 degrees. The water will be carried by the pump up the background and down a waterfall, down the tank length river into the pool of water. I was also going to include some film canisters in the background for egg laying. It will "probably" contain about 2 gallons of water total. The rest of the tank will be covered with moss and small ferns. The humidity will stay about 80 to 95%. I have a similar tank set up in a 20H and it has been running great for 3 months ( temp constant + or _ 2 degrees)

My main questions are: Has anyone simply left the tads in a well established tank with a water feature and had any success or is it better to let them lay in a film canister and then remove them to a different location? Would they even lay in the canisters if there is a water feature?

Any comments would be appreciated! thanks!
Matt Sorrells

#2 ·
What kind of frogs are youu thinking about raising? We have what sounds like an identical setup (although no heater) for our pair of reticulatus and they breed regularly. We take the eggs out as they don't seem to like to drop off their tads in circulated water. A 10 gallon tank is too small to raise bromeliads for the to drop off in, if they weren't breeding so well we'd move them into something bigger like a 20 high. This is the only frog that we permanenetly keep in a 10 gal tank though.

Christina

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.