Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use anything other than coconut huts for egg deposition sites? I have a margarine container turned upside down with a hole cut in the side for my auratus. It seems adequate to me, but being that I've not yet bred them I could be wrong. Thanks for the advice.
Kevin

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I've seen small terracotta pots work well. You can turn it upside down (like a coco hut) and chip a hole into the side, be careful not to shatter it. You can also you natural "caves" in your landscape, but the draw back is it can be difficult to check for, or remove eggs.

To make removing eggs easy, and to give the frogs a surface to lay on, make sure you place a deli lid or petri dish under the breeding hut. When eggs are deposited on the lid, you simply remove the lid and replace with a new one.

If it is a display tank, a margarine tub would look pretty bad.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I use flower pots, the bottoms of 64 oz coke bottles (the black part) and just a bower made out of magnolia leaves in addition to coco huts. When I use the flower pot, I knock out a piece with a small hammer while supporting the inside of the pot. Then I file down the edges and usually silicone the shard over the hole in the top.
Ed

·
Registered
269 Posts
Kevin,
My auratus and Leucs use both the huts and leaf litter I have in their vivs. The leucs will have multiple clutches going at the same time so I find eggs all over the place. It seems that my tincs and azureus like their huts as well as leaves on pothos plants.

·
Registered
639 Posts
You can make a natural looking cave out of great stuff, silicone, and coco fiber. Just take the can and make a big glob of the great stuff on a piece of wax paper. Let it cure for a few days, then carve it out so it's kind of like a bowl. Then cover the outside with silicone and coco fiber just like you're making a background. Then put it into the terrarium.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll try an upside down flower pot for now-the margarine container does look very bad given that the rest of the vivarium is set up naturally.
Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts